twenty two

. Inevitable

. ɪnˈɛvɪtəb(ə)l/

. Certain to happen; unavoidable

Running away was normal for me. Whenever something bad or stressful happened, and I couldn't handle it, I'd run away from the problem. I couldn't do that this time; my feet were glued to the floor, unable to move. Thousands of memories rushed through my head at once; trying to remember everything I could before they were all erased forever.

Josh was stood next to me, but I couldn't reach out to him. Flashing lights blinded my vision appearing as if there were really there, but in fact were just part of my imagination. Harry had always told me that this was going to happen. 'Inevitable' was the word he used. I glanced over at him - my brother; he looked just as scared as I did. We were all here, us seven. We were all dragged over here by ourselves; by our stupid naive minds. I so badly wanted to grab Josh's hand and squeeze it, just to try to reassure him of something, but I physically couldn't move - none of us could.

I flicked my gaze over to Ethan who was on the other side of me. I could tell that he was trying so hard not to break down, even though he wouldn't be able to, anyway. I caught eye contact with Tobi and he knew what I wanted to do. The boys always said that my eyes spoke louder than my voice. More memories flooded my mind, and I tried my best not to look away, but the flashing lights came back, temporarily blinding me once more.

.

I sat down to complete the circle that the rest of my friends were in - it was my 15th birthday.

"Happy Birthday May!" They all chorused.

"Thanks guys, I love you."

"We love you too." Ethan returned; a cute smile on his face.

I turned to look at him and Josh - who were next to me - then at my brother - Harry, who was opposite me - and I quickly glanced at everyone else.

"Can I ask for one more present? Don't ever leave me."

Soft 'awhs' filled the small space, before I was squashed in between seven boys.

Simon whispered into my ear:

"We won't, I promise."

.

The flashing lights faded and my eyes rapidly scanned the six boys just in case, but no, Simon was still gone. Harry always said that one of us would leave, using the word 'inevitable' again. Using all of the strength left in me, I pushed against the invisible wall that was holding us all back, but I didn't move. I looked at Tobi again; his eyes were locked on me. I glanced at everyone to see that JJ and Vik were looking too. I squeezed my eyes shut and once again tried to push against the wall, but of course nothing happened. I was trying to fight the inevitable.

When I opened my eyes, everyone was crying, apart from me. More lights took over my mind, but this time, when they faded, all I could see was an image of the eight of us when we were younger - the day Simon promised that he would never leave. Soon enough, that disappeared and was replaced by nothing. I could see nothing.