79

Katie's pov

Today we have a game against the Providence Bruins here in Rhode Island. We also have a game tomorrow, a home game.

The girls, as usual, pick out my outfit and do my hair and makeup. We're all out having lunch.

"What was that fight about last night?" Luke asks. All eyes on me now. Thanks Luke.

"Nothing serious." I shrug, picking at my fries.

"You don't fight over nothing serious, Katie. What happened?" He asks again. I sigh, giving in.

"He asked if I was worry I would smudge my lipstick playing hockey, and then he said I'm used to it anyway from cheating on you." I say, looking down at my plate. Now there's an awkward tension.

"Luke, you don't actually believe I cheated, do you?" I ask, when he looks away. He shrugs.

"You were pretty drunk the first night you saw J. How can you be sure you didn't?" He asks. Shocked, I put money on the table and walk back to my hotel.

*

I sit on the locker room bench with headphones in. It's a warmup method I learned from Wayne Simmonds.

I clear my mind of anything that could potentially be distracting. Eventually we head out for warmups. Like usual, I get boos.

-
Luke's pov

We all sit in the lower level, it's warmups right now.

"Do you actually think she cheated?" Ashton asks me, quietly.

"I'm not sure." I answer honestly.

"I don't think you believe she did." Ashton says.

"How would you know how I feel?" I ask.

"You're here, aren't you?" He points out. I nod, staying silent. Eventually it's game time.

By the second period Phantoms take the lead 2-1. Katie hasn't had much ice time tonight, we're going into the third.

The Phantoms end up winning 4-1, Katie not picking up any points.

We head down to the locker room. We aren't allowed in though.

-
Katie's pov

"Good game tonight guys. Katie, can I have a word?" Coach asks. Taylor looks at me but I ignore him, following coach.

"I know it's only your second game back, but Katie, you're off your game. Did you practice while you were away?" He asks.

"Of course! Two hours everyday." I remind him.

"I'm thinking about sitting you for tomorrow's game, but I'll let you know. It's a home game so I'll let you know soon." He says. I follow him back into the locker room, and keep my cool.

Now back to Philly.

*

Taylor and I get done warmups, but he doesn't start the car.

"What did coach talk about to you?" He asks.

"He's considering sitting me tonight. I've been 'off my game.'" I tell him.

"I can talk to him about-"

"No, don't. I might play anyway." I wave it off. He sighs, driving us home. We leave our gear in the car.

Everyone is staying at our flat somehow. We have two extra rooms, Michael and Emily in one and Ashton and Joanna in another. Luke stays with me and Taylor has his own room. When we get back it's noon, but everyone is still sleeping.

"I'll make us lunch, you can get a shower or take a nap if you want." Taylor says. I nod, going to the bathroom. I remove my clothes, and get in the shower. I take maybe an hour, and then get out and get dressed.

"Here." Taylor slides a plate of food across the table. I thank him and eat it.

"Have you talked to Luke since lunch yesterday?" He asks. I shake my head and he sighs.

"You probably should, Katie." Taylor says.

"He believes I cheated on him, Taylor. What's there to talk about?"

*
The first and second period blow by for me. Coach took away a lot of my ice time but I'm still thankful to be playing.

I'm tripped, drawing a penalty.

"Get up big girl." The player who tripped MY says, skating over to the penalty box. I shake my head, skating over to the bench.

"Nice Katie." Coach pats me on the back. I just nod, watching the game. We end up winning 6-4, Taylor scoring. I didn't pick any points up. Again.

"Your time will come, Katie."