Chapter 44

Another 5 years!

Friday! We're at the studio gathering a few things up and then headed up to the house. The girls been up there since Wednesday when I went to open the pool for the summer. Link's with his daddy and I. We sometimes don't trust the girls with him. Finn only 11 and Lainey's about to turn 10. Though we feel fine enough to leave them alone, three hours away..

"Lincoln.." I shake my head at him. He sinks down and plays on the floor instead of the wooden skyline. Jimmy's in the back getting some outfit for a sketch down. "Lincoln Drew." My hand meets his little bum. "You're not allowed to play up there. You know better."

He just stares at me. Cars in his hands. Bottom lip starting to quiver. Big brown eyes getting watery. "Daddy!" He runs to the mirror on the platform and reaches up for his father.

"Why you crying?" Jimmy wipes his tears away.

"Mommy spanked me.." He bawls on his daddy's shoulder.

"What'd you do?" Link ignores him. "Lincoln, why didn't you listen to your mother?" That's the only time he gets spanked. The boy doesn't listen. He ignores you and, then flips and cries when he gets in trouble.

I point behind my shoulder. "He was playing on the city again."

"Hey.." Little sides are poked. "You know you're not suppose to play up there, Lincoln." Jimmy turns Links head back to his own. "Do you understand me? You need to start listening to us. I don't like that you don't." Link looks off into the seats. "Kay, we're going to take you to the doctors to get your hearing checked."

Lightning speed, Lincoln looks at his father. "No!" The bill of his little hat resting against his fathers forehead.

"What did I just say?"

"I'm not 'upposed to play on the city."

"And?" I ask.

He looks at me. "I have to listen to you and daddy.."

"If you do it again, I'm not going to bring you anymore. Daddy's not going to bring someone who can't listen."

Link nods. "Okay.."

"Okay.." Jimmy mimics his droopy voice and a car hits his face. "Nope!" He snatches his sons toys out of his hands. "You're done! Get your little butt to the very top of those steps now." He sets Link down and pockets the cars. "Go now, Lincoln Drew." He gently pushes him. Link slumps up the carpets steps and stops after five of them. "Keep going." He snaps his fingers and points.

"Go or I'm going to take you myself." I interrupt them. Link bolts up and stops where his grandparents sit when they visit. I shake my head as my husband turns to me. "You finished?" I pat his thin thigh.

His arm rests behind my head. "For now. I have to read through it one last time for today, then we're out of here. But that can take another 30 minutes."

"That's fine. We're in no hurry." I look up at Link as Jimmy kisses my temple. "We need to do something with him.. A chart for listening to us or something."

He nods. "Something."

"Honey, you're bleeding.." I get up for a Kleenex behind his desk. "You gonna talk to him or am I?"

Jimmy sighs and looks at his holigoon son. "I can."

"What's he doing?" I lick the tissue and wipe the blood away.

"Trying to tie his shoes."

"I thought he already knew how.."

"I guess not. Remember, Penn, he's the baby."