44

Janelle hummed to herself as she worked in the garden. The place was quiet with the girls at school and Micky away on a 'road trip,' but she was glad he finally got out of the house. She'd been worried about him ever since his father died.

"Momma!"

Janelle looked up in surprise. In front of her stood her youngest daughter, eight year old Gina. Janelle gasped.

"Gina! What are you doing home from school?"

Gina didn't say anything. She only continued to smile at her mother. Janelle tutted and stood up—

—Only to gasp in shock when a woman suddenly appeared behind her daughter. She had long black hair and blue eyes.

"Get your hands off her!" Janelle shouted. Libitina smirked and squatted down so she was Gina's height.

"Now Janelle, if you cooperate, little Gina here just might survive."

"What are you talking about? Get your hands off my daughter!" Janelle took a step forward, but suddenly she couldn't move. Libitina tutted and shook her head.

"Maybe this'll teach you to listen."

Moving almost too quickly for a human to see, Libitina took one of Gina's arms and snapped it. The little girl screamed.

"Momma! MOMMA!"

Janelle had to fight back the urge to scream herself. "Let GO of her!" she shouted. Suddenly, she could move again and she charged at the black-haired woman.

But then the woman and Gina both vanished.

Janelle heard laughter behind her, and whirled around to see that the woman and her daughter had somehow appeared by the spot she'd just stood at. Gina was standing in her flowers, but she didn't care.

"Such a shame," Libitina sighed and shook her head. "She's such a gorgeous girl, it's too bad she has to die."

With that, Libitina sunk her teeth into Gina's neck. The girl screamed and went limp.

Janelle screamed too. "NO! GINA!"

Then she fainted.