39

"Where are we going?"

"I don't know."

"I'm kinda hungry."

"There's food in the—"

"Are the other angels gonna get me?"

Michael snapped. He clenched the steering wheel and turned his glare on the human boy. "I don't know, okay?!"

Micky jumped at being yelled at and looked down, avoiding Michael's gaze. The angel took pity on him and his gaze softened.

"Look, I'm sorry. I just...I can't handle all of your questions right now."

"What do they want with me, anyway?" Micky muttered.

"I don't know," Michael said honestly, "but I won't let them get you. I promise."

Micky sniffled. "None of this would be happening if I were...if I were dead."

Alarm bells went off in Michael's head and he almost slammed on the brakes. He didn't, due to traffic, but he momentarily took his eyes off the road to look at the boy slumped down in the passenger seat. "Don't say that," he said softly, "you deserve to live."

Micky sniffled again, but didn't say anything. He was fighting back tears.

Davy's words echoed in Michael's head, but he ignored them. Instead of listening, he returned his eyes to the road, but took one hand off the wheel. He reached over to grab Micky's hand, intertwining their fingers. The boy's hand was warm, and a little sweaty with nerves, but Michael didn't care. Micky's hand was soft and Michael ran his hand over the palm. Micky looked at him through eyelashes wet with unshed tears.

"I'm sorry," he whispered.

"You didn't do anything," Michael said, squeezing his hand. "You got nothin' to apologize for."

"But—"

"Hey." Michael gave him a stern, but caring look. "I promised Davy I would keep you safe, okay? You ain't got nothin' to worry about."

Micky nodded and sighed.

"If you say so."

Michael hesitated. Micky gave him a funny look.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"Would it make you feel better if I...made you a Holy Promise?"

"What's that?"

Michael sighed and momentarily closed his eyes. He knew what was at stake if he did this, but he didn't care. He'd do anything to keep his boy safe. So he opened his eyes again and looked at Micky.

"Micky, I pledge a Holy Promise to keep you safe from the Head Angel, Peter the Healer, and any other henchmen they may send after us. If I fail my duty as your protector then...may my soul be damned straight to Hell."