02

What was the point?

That was the question Micky Dolenz asked himself every day when he woke up. He hated himself. He hated himself more than he's ever hated anyone else—which was saying something because he could never bring himself to hate anyone else—and he didn't see why he didn't just end his life already.

But in the back of his mind, he knew why.

Micky's father died two months ago. In fact, he died the night before Micky was planning on killing himself. He had already written a suicide note and everything.

But then George had a heart attack.

Micky couldn't leave his mother and sisters. Not yet, anyway. George's death only sent him further down a path of self-hatred and self-loathing, but he would have to wait for a time when they wouldn't need him anymore.

And he knew that time was coming.

A cloud of gloom had settled over the Dolenz household ever since George died, but it was slowly being lifted. Coco, the eldest child after Micky, was almost 14—Micky knew she would be able to take care of their mother and sisters after he left.

He had graduated the past year so he waited for his sisters to go to school. His mother, Janelle, headed off to an interview—she started looking for a job after George died in order to support her children.

Micky was alone.

It was time.