34

"Hey, Mick?" Ten minutes later, Michael approached the guest room. The door was closed and he knocked before opening it.

Micky sniffled. "Go away," his voice cracked.

"Mick," Michael sighed. The human boy was sprawled out on the bed, lying on his stomach in the dark. Michael flicked on a light and slowly approached the boy, sitting down on the edge of the bed. The mattress sagged slightly under his weight and he saw Micky cringe.

"What do you want from me?"

Michael sighed again. He placed one hand on the small of Micky's back and rubbed soothing circles into his skin through the fabric of his shirt. "I'm sorry," he apologized softly. "Davy and I didn't think that through. We'll think of somethin' better, I promise."

Micky turned his head and peeked at Michael. "You won't tell them I d-died?" he asked.

"It might come down to that," Michael admitted, "but we'll use that as a last resort."

Micky sniffled again and sat up. His eyes were red and watery from crying. Wordlessly, Michael wrapped an arm around the boy's slim shoulders and pulled him closer. They didn't speak, but the seriousness of their situation hung over them like a dark shadow.

"What're we gonna do?" Micky asked softly after some time had passed.

"I don't know," Michael admitted. He kissed the top of Micky's head and caressed his cheek. His hand cupped Micky's chin and he brought the boy close for a gentle kiss. "But we'll figure something out, I promise."