All That I Am

Clay checked to see if Jackie had a pulse, and she did. "We gotta do something, Clay!", cried Merlynne. " Take her to the hospital or something! " Clay knew he had went off on Jackie, the way she was all fucked up. "I'ma call her daughter, Chastity, to come over! Trust me on this!", Clay exclaimed. He dialed a number and disappeared into the room, leaving Merlynne alone with Jackie's limp body. Jackie began to stir and Merlynne was glad she wasn't dead. She could never forgive her for what she did, but she didn't want Jackie dead. And she definitely didn't want Clay to go to jail.
"Clay, she's awake!", screamed Merlynne. Clay came running in the room. " Chastity's on her way!", he said. Jackie tried to move again, but Merlynne kept her still. She hoped that Jackie's daughter would be able to get her to the hospital. The way Clay spoke of Jackie's daughter made her wonder.
About twenty minutes later, a car pulled up. Clay ran to the door and let Jackie's daughter Chastity in. When she looked down and seen her mother laying there, beat, it hurt her, because she had a feeling she knew what went down. The way Clay's girlfriend was looking, Chastity knew she was right.
This wasn't the first time that Jackie had done some shit like this. When Chastity was nineteen, her mamma made a pass at one of her best friends. Things had got ugly, and the police was called. Jackie was brought up on charges, and Chastity lost a friend. She didn't understand why her mamma did the things she did; she accepted the fact that her mamma was a lesbian. Her daddy wasn't around for her and her brother Kaine. But the fact that Jackie had a sex addiction really bothered Chastity. She didn't like bringing her kids around their grandmother for that reason. Jackie had kids at a young age, and now her kids had kids. Jackie was a smoking gun; running her club and businesses made her well known, and it seemed that she liked the infamy. She liked to cut up and party, and Chastity knew she had a string of ladies.
As Clay explained what had happened to Chastity, Merlynne was in shock. Jackie finally was coming out of it, and when she fully woke, she looked around wildly. Chastity asked Clay to help get her into the car. As Clay brought Jackie outside, Chastity looked at Merlynne. "I'm so sorry for what my mamma did! You have every right to call the police.", she said. As shook as Merlynne was, she didn't want anymore drama. " No", she said. "That won't be necessary. Thank you for coming." Chastity smiled weakly at her, then left with Jackie.
When Clay came back inside, Merlynne threw herself into his arms and cried. Clay held her to him, and promised her everything would be alright.
***************************************************************
Victorine's car needed servicing, so Hadrien drove into the Chrysler dealership in town. While he waited, he got a call from TonTon, asking him if he was still drumming at the upcoming Heritage Festival. Hadrien assured him he would, and asked how he and Mrs. Cecile was doing. "If you would come over more often, you'd know", snapped the fiesty old man. " TonTon, I have a family now! And I've been busy making moves. I promise you, I'm not doing anything wild or crazy! Just taking care of my family.", he explained. The old man wasn't having it, and Hadrien promised that him, Victorine, and Kalan would go over to his house for dinner that night. TonTon was pleased, and let Hadrien go so he could tell Mrs. Cecile. Hadrien knew they would be happy to see the baby.
After the car was ready, Hadrien decided to return the favor and stopped by Tristen's studio. Jordawn looked at Hadrien with awe as he walked up and asked for Tristen. She came out swiftly, looking sexy as always. "Hadrien! Hi!", she bubbled as she hugged him. " What a nice surprise! " Hadrien gave her an appraising look, then said, "I wanted to invite you to our Heritage Festival. I'll be drumming that day.", he said. " You drum?", she asked, astonished. "Yes ma'am. You'd be surprise at all the things I do.", he said. Jordawn gave Tristen a look that said, Girl! You better find out what that man mean! Tristen smiled, then said, " Of course I'll be there! I wouldn't miss it!" Hadrien shook her hand then said, "I'll see you there!", then left the building. Jordawn asked if she was really going, and Tristen replied, " Are you kidding me? Any chance I get to capture that man's majesty, I'm gonna take it! You should come to! I bet Dreeky will be there! You ain't fooling nobody! I saw you checking him out!" Jordawn laughed and said, "Girl, I wouldn't mind getting close to that! But he's married!" Tristen raised an eyebrow, then said, "So is Hadrien!"
***************************************************************
Teta's time had come! While washing clothes in her laundry room, her water had broke, and fortunately for her, Fiyah had been there. He brought her to the altar room, where just that morning she had made a protective ring of salt. She had wanted to have Fiyah's grandmother there with her, but now there was no time to spare, and Fiyah wasn't leaving her alone.
Teta's contractions were coming back to back, and she was ready. She laid in the center of the circle, and Fiyah brought her comfy pillows to put behind her back. He lighted all the candles in the room, and lit her special blend of incense to ease her. Teta thought of her mother and began to cry, wishing she would've been here with her. Fiyah lit a huge spliff and let her smoke, as was her request. Teta knew exactly what she was doing; the only thing she didn't know was what Papa Legba would do. He was inside her as her child, but he still had enough power to make something happen. The weed steadied her, and when the next big contraction came, she channeled all of her strength to keep from pushing. Fiyah stayed close by her side, looking on anxiously. He held her hand tightly, feeling helpless himself. He saw that she was in great pain, and wished there was something else he could do to help her.
Teta took a huge drag of her joint and closed her eyes. She could see her mamma and daddy, and they were smiling at her. Teta began speaking the old Creole patois, and Fiyah knew she was seeing someone or something. In her head, she could hear drumming and chanting, and the wind. She could smell Papa Legba and his mysteries. The twins dropped down low, and she began to push, screaming at the sheer pain of it all. Fiyah worried for her, but kept a steady head as Teta writhed in pain. He placed himself between her legs and watched for crowning. Teta pushed again, and the first twin's head appeared. "That's it baby! You can do this! One of the baby's coming!", he cried, ready with towels and hot water on the side. Teta pushed the first twin out, and Fiyah hurriedly cradled her in a towel and cut the ambilical cord. " It's a girl!", he cried.
Before Teta could lay her eyes on her baby, another hard contraction came, causing her to cry out. Fiyah laid the little girl down and said, "Come on baby! You're almost there! You're doing so well love!" Teta pushed as hard as she could, and out came twin number two, a boy. The pressure in her head just popped, and she collapsed onto the pillows. Fiyah was at work, cutting the cord and cleaning the babies. Teta was spent, and the first thing she asked was, "Are the babies alright?" Fiyah helped her raise up by stacking more pillows behind her, then he placed a baby in each of her arms. "They are perfectly fine", he said, " And beautiful like my wife!" Teta looked at her babies and cried, thanking the Lord and the Lady for them. And she thanked Fiyah for helping her bring them into this world.
Fiyah called Dr. Gallien, a well known medical doctor as well as root doctor, to come over and check the babies. Teta had moved to her room with the babies, and was breastfeeding them when the doctor arrived. By then, Fiyah had went and got his grandparents, and Mrs. Julia was in the kitchen preparing a meal while Mr. Willie helped Fiyah clean up. They were so proud of their great grandbabies, and said many prayers of thanks for their safe arrival. Dr. Gallien was amazed at the fact that Teta and Fiyah delivered their own babies at home, and they were perfectly healthy. "This is amazing", he said.
Fiyah laid next to his wife and took one of the babies from her. " So what are we naming them?", he asked. Teta smiled, then said, " How about Egypt and Dre'as?", she asked. Fiyah thought about it, and said, "Yes! I love the names! Baby, I am so proud of you! You brought our children into this world, and you did it alone!" Teta looked at her husband and said, "I wasn't alone! You were here with me, and so were my parents. Thank you baby, for helping me!" Fiyah leaned over and kissed her sweetly. "To our new family!", he said, and Teta smiled.
Papa Legba's spirit entered his son, and little Dre'as began to move about. As he suckled at Teta's breast, Papa felt the ultimate satisfaction of knowing what it was like to be in Teta's womb and to be nourished by her. It pleased him to now be one within her. He had lost his infatuation with her and settled into his new role as her son. Teta could feel the last of Papa Legba's power seep into her as her baby boy fed. She watched as Fiyah held little Egypt, and her thankfulness was abundant.
**************************************************************
When Hadrien told her they were going to TonTon's for dinner, Victorine was perplexed. She had wanted to go out to a restaurant in the Quarter, but decided not to make a fuss about it. It would be good for Hadrien to see his people, and besides, he had surprised her by buying her a beautiful Coach purse when he serviced her Chrysler 300. She knew he didn't like spending money, and his gesture touched her. So she got herself and the baby ready for the drive over to TonTon's.
On the way over, Victorine looked at Hadrien. He looked so handsome tonight. She felt herself getting aroused, daydreaming about the things he did to her. When they arrived, he was a perfect gentleman and opened the door for her and took Kalan out. As they walked to the house, he patted her ass and she gave him a sexy smile.
Mrs. Cecile was overjoyed to see them. She hugged Hadrien and Victorine, and fawned over the baby. TonTon was happy Hadrien kept his word and came over.
Mrs. Cecile had the whole house smelling wonderful! The smells of pot roast filled the air. They all got comfortable and sat down to their meal. "Victorine, that baby is beautiful! And you're looking good yourself! Motherhood agrees with you!", said Mrs. Cecile. Victorine smiled and thanked her. TonTon made googly eyes at the baby and told Hadrien he was proud of him. " You know, Teta had her twins today!", exclaimed Mrs. Cecile. Victorine was surprised to hear the news. Hadrien sat up and said, "Really? That's wonderful!" Victorine's feelings about Hadrien and Teta hadn't all erased, but she still had a jealousy of Hadrien's concern for Teta.
TonTon asked Hadrien about his new job. "I went into town and saw your face on a billboard! Our Hadrien! Son, I know it's all exciting to you, but you have got to be careful! Those flashy people will try to use you! But you got a good head on your shoulders, and I expect you to still work the boats with me! My arthritis been slowing me down.", he said. Hadrien knew TonTon was getting on in years and needed help, and he didn't mind helping him, despite his longing for a new workplace environment. " Of course, I'll still work the boats, TonTon ", said Hadrien.
They all had pecan pie and coffee after dinner, and Hadrien had two pieces, much to Mrs. Cecile's delight.
***************************************************************
Tim wanted a winter wedding, and Tameka was all for it. The excitement of planning a wedding blew her away, but the nightmare of seeing Derek, her baby's daddy, as a zombie kept her up at night. She also knew his mother needed to be told something, because it wasn't right to let her keep worrying. She'd have enough grief to deal with on her end as it was. But Tameka felt as if Derek would show up again, this time for her.
Tameka would tell Tim about her dreams and her fear. Tim would say,"Man, we saw this dude get blown to dust! I don't know what kind of Hoodoo Voodoo stuff he was in with Victorine, but he got what came to him! We can't do nothing about that, baby girl! Derek gone, and I'm here! We gonna be alright!" Tameka would let Tim's words and arms encourage her and would feel safe, but at the back of her mind, she'd also worry about Merlynne. She hadn't seen or heard from her since the wedding, and the more she thought of Derek, the more she thought of Merlynne. Fooling around with Victorine proved to be nothing but trouble. After what Merlynne did at Victorine's wedding, Tameka was sure Victorine or her mamma had did Merlynne dirt. Who knows what type of spell they put on Merlynne!
She picked up her phone and dialed Merlynne's number. She'd use the wedding as an excuse. A guy's voice she surely didn't know answered the phone, and Tameka asked for Merlynne. A moment passed, and then she came on the phone and said, "Hello?" Tameka did not like the sound of her voice. " Hey stranger! What's been up? How you feeling?", she asked. Merlynne was glad to hear Tameka's voice. "Tameka, meet me at the park! Please! I need to talk to you!", said a frantic Merlynne. " Okay girl! I'm leaving now!", said Tameka, hanging up the phone with an array of thoughts crowding her mind. She hurriedly got Precious dressed and told Tim she was meeting Merlynne in the park.
When Tameka pulled up to the park, Merlynne was already parked, waiting. Tameka noticed a change in her as she got out her car. She hugged Tameka tightly and kissed Precious on the cheek. "Where you been, girl?", asked Tameka. Merlynne told her the whole sordid tale of Jackie. " I can't sleep at night! I have nightmares of her, doing what she did to me!", she cried. Tameka felt bad for Merlynne. When she got on Clay, her tone softened and she really finally smiled. Tameka saw her friend's transformation and knew her pain. The turmoil of what she must have went through. She told Merlynne of her dreams of Derek and the upcoming wedding. " Girl, will you be my maid of honor?", asked Tameka. Merlynne hugged her tightly and told her she would. " We gone get through this, together, okay girl?", said Tameka. Merlynne had a second chance at living; a new man and a new neighborhood. Tameka hoped she would be strong enough to get past the rape. She promised to be there for her friend no matter what, and hopefully they could both get past their nightmares.
***************************************************************
Hadrien looked at himself in the mirror. He hoped he wasn't coming off as conceited or anything, but he knew this last shoot could catapult him in the direction of something bigger. Victorine walked in after putting Kalan down for her nap, and saw her husband staring at himself. She met him where he stood and wrapped her arms around his waist. Hadrien turned to face her and gave her a kiss. "Hadrien, just what exactly are you doing down there at Tristen's studio?", she asked. " $50,000 is a lot of damned money for just your pictures!" Hadrien looked hurt at her insinuation. "What are you saying, Victorine? Someone like me ain't worth that much? What, you think I'm sleeping with Tristen or that she's pimping me out or something? Victorine, she's helping me put together a portfolio! So I can get more business! I will not be ashamed of my body any longer!", he said, angrily. " Ashamed of your body? Since when have you been ashamed of your body? And just how much of your body has she seen?", asked Victorine angrily. Hadrien didn't see any use in lying, so he said, "Everything! She's seen everything! That last shoot was for a calendar!" Victorine couldn't believe what he said. "So you were naked! You posed naked, let some bitch take pictures of you, and I'm not supposed to think anything's going on between y'all? I've seen how you look at her, Hadrien! You must think I'm fucking stupid!", yelled Victorine. "Why are you so insecure, Victorine? You are a beautiful woman, my wife! Why do you think that I want other women?", asked Hadrien. Victorine raged. "You cheated on me before, Hadrien! With Teta! Remember!", she yelled. Hadrien was ready with a reply. " If you hadn't been with August Alsina and Derek L., I would have never turned to Teta! At least she wanted me! At least Teta took the time to care about my needs! That woman hurt for me, as I did for her! And all because you wanted to play games with me!", he yelled angrily. Victorine slapped his face. How dare he say that! The baby began to cry in her room.
Hadrien stormed out of the room to go check on Kalan. Victorine stood, enraged, her chest heaving. She looked into the mirror, and suddenly she realized how much she had changed over this last year. She was supposed to be the new Hoodoo counselate, and that she had lost to her mother. She was powerful, sexy, and smart. She should be running things around here, not letting her mother take over or her husband belittle her. Victorine took a stand right then and there to regain her power and strength. "All that I am, all that I will be!", she declared, a devious look in her eyes.