Golden September

Tim felt like doing something for his family and friends, so he decided to throw a cookout. Tameka invited Merlynne to come out and celebrate her birthday with them, and after a ton of convincing, finally got her to agree. Merlynne had spend her actual birthday in bed, crying her eyes out over Hadrien's dismissal. She needed to have a good, fun time, she thought. Maybe even have a few drinks. Yeah, she thought, I'll go to the cookout. Hopefully something good would come from it.
Tim had the whole neighborhood smelling right. Barbecued pork steak, ribs, and sausage shared a grill with some hamburger patties, hot dogs, and a huge slab of fish. When they barbecued down here, they meant business. Tim's family loved get togethers, and his mamma loved the idea of having a grandbaby around. Tameka felt blessed they accepted her so well. She looked at Tim's fine self, and thought, the way they carried on, his mamma might be getting a new grandbaby sooner than later! Tameka knew it was what Tim wanted, so she made sure she stayed healthy. She was sure it would happen soon, so she just prepared herself for it. What she didn't know was that Tim was planning on proposing to her that day.
There were lots of people who came out for the day. A couple of guys tried talking to Merlynne, but she was acting like damaged goods, and wasn't friendly. Tameka sat with her and got her to loosen up. "Merlynne! Don't tell me you're going to sit here all day and not capitalize on these eligible men! Girl! Come on now! You got to get with it! You're in your prime girl! You better get in there and have fun!", she coached her friend. Merlynne laughed at Tameka, then sipped from her wine cooler. " I think I'm gonna need a few more of these!", she said then finished the bottle. A tall brown skinned brother came up to her and asked her name. They began conversating and Tameka slipped off to meet Tim at the grill. He gave her a hug and a kiss, and she felt loved truly. She looked at her friend and wished the same for her someday. Merlynne was finally loosening up, and hopefully she had put Hadrien out of her mind.
**************************************************************
Victorine was busy packing her things in boxes. She would miss this house. She thought of Big Nainan and all the times they shared together in this house. Victorine knew Big Nainan would have been proud of her for reconciling with her mamma. It was time for her to go out on her own and start a family, and it was time Jeraina Faye settle down and live righteously.
Hadrien walked into the bedroom, unnoticed by Victorine who was lost in a daydream. He sat on the bed next to her and startled her. "Hey baby! I'm sorry! I was just thinking about that chicken we ate last night! Babe, it was kicking! It was so good to see Dreeky and Cesaire!", she said. " They offered to help us move,you know!", said Hadrien. He was glad to see her in good spirits. He knew she was upset about him modeling without telling her. He just wanted to be free for a change. She would come around.
Hadrien kissed her neck and Victorine smiled. She was so happy things were going good between them. "How about we take a break?", asked Hadrien as he kissed her. Victorine laid back onto the bed and Hadrien kissed her stomach. He laid his head in her lap and closed his eyes. They would soon be in their own place, and now they had the wedding to think of. Hadrien hoped they would be married by the time the baby came.
" Victorine? ", Hadrien asked. She looked at him, tired. " About our wedding...let's elope like Cesaire and Dreeky did, or let's get married here, in the backyard, under the tree, right before we move. Something simple, but still elegant.", he said. Victorine thought about what he was saying. It might just work.
*************************************************************
Jeraina Faye loved having a man around, a real man like Celestine. He was very capable and handy. He was an architect, he was a carpenter. He was a mechanic, he was a hunter. He was a chef, he was a sex machine. Jeraina Faye deigned to be good for him. She loved the fact that he was a simple country boy at heart, who didn't need hard narcotics to appease. Some good weed, some good wine, and some of Jeraina Faye's good pussy was all he lived for. He was happy here with her, and Jeraina Faye was pleased with that knowledge.
Celestine had caught a rabbit, and asked Jeraina Faye if she could cook it. He held the skinned carcass up to her, awaiting her answer. Jeraina Faye stood and smiled, taking the rabbit and heading to the kitchen. Jeraina Faye could cook anything. Celestine stood, amazed at his woman's ways. He left her to it and went outside to tidy up his work area.
When Celestine came in the house for the evening, a wondrous meal awaited him. Pan fried rabbit with stewed carrots and collard greens, and made from scratch biscuits. Jeraina Faye smiled. He looked at Jeraina Faye and shook his head. "Woman, you are a god-send!", he said, smiling.
***************************************************************
Merlynne was on her third wine cooler when she spied Tim and some of the fellas drinking Hennessey and playing cards. She needed to get some of that in her system. Tameka looked at her friend, hoping she wouldn't get tore up. Merlynne sauntered over to the fellas and asked for some. Tim got her a cup of ice and poured her a shot. " Uh, uh! You gotta give me a double! I ain't no baby!", she said, already tipsy. Tim poured her more then handed her the cup. Merlynne smiled at him a little too long, and he noticed. Tim ignored the lusty way she licked her lips and went back to the card game. Merlynne sipped her drink and walked back to where Tameka was sitting. Someone changed the blues they were listening to and put on some bounce music. Merlynne got hyped up, and began bouncing and shaking herself to 5th Ward Weebie's 'Let Me Find Out'. Tameka was glad her friend was easing up, and she started dancing with her. But when Tim came by Tameka and hugged her from behind, Merlynne decided she would give him a show. She was wearing a snug cotton T-shirt and some leggings, and she bent over and bust it open, twerking to the music. Tameka couldn't believe her. Merlynne's shapely ass wobbled to all them niggas delight. She was getting more attention, and soon there was a crowd around her. Tim pulled Tameka aside and asked, "What's up with your girl? She tripping for real." Tameka rolled her eyes towards the Merlynne
Show and said, " I think she had too many wine coolers or something. She'll be okay. Just trying to get over being dumped by Hadrien, I guess." Tim seen one of his boys grabbing on Merlynne and thought about telling him something, but decided not to. Merlynne wasn't his woman nor his problem. Besides, he had other things in mind, looking at Tameka. She truly was a dime piece, looking good in her outfit. His mamma was holding Precious, rocking her on her lap. Tim looked at Tameka and took her by the hand. When he dropped down on one knee, everyone soon became aware that something big was happening. Tameka looked stunned as Tim began to speak. "Tameka, you and Precious have made me so happy by being with me, and I just want to thank you for taking away some of that hurt that was inside of me. Baby girl, you are the woman for me! So, Tameka Ross, will you be my wife?" Tim slipped a beautiful diamond engagement ring in her finger. Tears rolled down Tameka's face as she said, "Yes! Yes! Oh, Tim! I love you baby! Yes!" Everyone began to clap and cheer as Tim held Tameka to him and kissed her. Merlynne was suddenly sick. She was happy for her girl, but she was disgusted that something like this would never happen for her. She tried sucking up her gloom and went to congratulate the couple. She hugged Tameka tightly and said, "Go head, Tee! I'm so happy for you!" Tears were welling in her eyes, and she couldn't help but to let them roll down her face. Tameka felt bad for her, knowing that Merlynne was crying because she didn't have a good relationship yet.
The food was ready and everyone began to fix their plates. Merlynne sat to the side, holding Precious so Tim's mamma could fix her food. She looked at the little girl, so lively and curious. Merlynne wished for her own family, her own man, her own child, but it was wishful thinking at that time. Tameka walked over and handed her a plate of food. She took Precious from her and said, " Girl, what's wrong?" Merlynne felt uncomfortable asking, but she did anyway. "Tee, you think that Dr. Joe could help me? Girl, he did wonders for you; look at you! You're glowing and beautiful! Your hair grew back! You got a good man who wants to marry you! Girl, I can't even deal right now! I feel so lost and down! I need help!", she cried. Tameka felt so bad for her. " Dr. Joe is an amazing man! I'll take you there myself! ", she said, hugging her. Merlynne felt better, then focused on the plate of barbecue in front of her.
*************************************************************
Hadrien woke up from his nap to see Victorine still sleeping. She looked so comfortable. He got up and went to the kitchen, where Jeraina Faye and Celestine were eating. " You wanna eat?", asked Jeraina Faye as she looked up at him. Hadrien smiled at them, sitting together. "Sure. I'm starving! Let me go wake Victorine. I know she'll be hungry too." The thought of Jeraina Faye being nice to him, without all the seduction puzzled him, but he was glad everyone was acting normal for a change. He went back into the room to wake Victorine, but she was already up. They went to the table and sat as Jeraina Faye fixed them each a plate. Victorine tore into the rabbit, not knowing what she was eating...
After they had finished eating, Victorine helped Jeraina Faye with the dishes. "Mamma, we wanna get married in the back yard, soon, before we move. Will that be alright?", she asked. Jeraina Faye looked at her thoughtfully, and Victorine seen something in her eyes. " Victorine, I think that would be a lovely idea. I wouldn't have it any other way." She hugged Victorine tightly, then said, "We need to start planning!" Victorine was happy her mamma was excited for her. Celestine really must have did something positive to her mamma!
***************************************************************
Dreeky was busy in the kitchen preparing a special dinner of oyster stew for Cesaire. He was in high spirits because his clothing line Curious was up and running, and his best friend in the whole world asked him to be her maid of honor in her wedding! Dreeky's heart felt happy for Victorine. It seemed that she was finally getting her shit together. As he stirred the pot of hearty stew, a flash of a scene played across his third eye. Dreeky dropped his wooden spoon as he saw Derek L. lurking around Victorine's place, then lunging forward towards a naked Jeraina Faye and the tall, powerful dark skinned man that was at the meeting. He saw a swing of a machete, and a head rolling across the wooden floor. A scene of murky swamp water presented itself, then the vision was gone. Dreeky caught his chest and breathed hard. What the fuck had happened? Derek L. was dead, and soon Victorine would find out, hell, soon others would find out, and that meant all kinds of fuckry Victorine did not need.
Cesaire walked into the kitchen, breaking the spell of worry. "It smells good in here!", he exclaimed joyfully. He kissed the back of Dreeky's neck and made him melt. Dreeky spun around and looked at his husband. Cesaire was even sexier than Jussie Smollett, and he knew it. Cesaire carried a veil of awe around him wherever he went, causing men and women both to drool. Mixed Creole African and Spanish, his pirate goatee always perfect, he was a rarity. Cesaire was a gentleman, and he only had eyes for Dreeky. He made his love and devotion for Dreeky well known. He showered him with praise as well as gifts. He could afford to buy Dreeky whatever he wanted, but that wasn't important to Dreeky. Their love was real solid, and that's what mattered.
Dreeky kissed Cesaire's lips and held him. Playfully, Cesaire tried to peek in the pot. " What are you cooking that smells so wonderful?", he asked. Dreeky smiled, then took the lid off to reveal the stew. "Oyster stew?", asked Cesaire, happily. He loved good old Creole home cooking, and he lived to try new cuisine. Put a hearty plate of food in front of Cesaire and you would witness a happy man. He should have been overweight by the amount he ate, but he was svelte as ever. Dreeky had prepared a potato salad, a Caesar salad, and a homemade French loaf to go with the stew. Cesaire stole one last kiss from Dreeky and sat at the table. He poured them each a glass of iced peach tea, and Dreeky placed a steaming bowl of stew in front of him, followed by the bowl of potato salad. Before he sat down, Dreeky fixed their salads and sliced the bread. They held hands and gave thanks for their meal, and Cesaire digged in, the hot stew almost burning his tastebuds in his haste to eat. After letting it cool a bit, Cesaire got to take his first mouthful of the savory stew. The buttery oysters were like silk in his mouth. He swore he tasted the heavens. Dreeky eyed him, studying his reactions, and was as pleased as Cesaire was. Cesaire gave him praise. "Bellisima!", he said, kissing his fingers. Dreeky digged into his meal as well, and enjoyed the end product of his toil. " What's for dessert?", Cesaire asked. Dreeky only smiled, seductively.
***************************************************************
   Victorine had went by the new house to bring some of the lighter things. Hadrien had forbade her to do any more heavy lifting, but she insisted on helping. When she walked in, Hadrien was there, putting things up where they needed to be. He had done so much in such little time, she was amazed. The house was beginning to look like a home. They would be married by the end of the week, on a golden September Saturday, and in their own home. Hadrien was happy to see her, and went up to her. She wrapped her arms around him and gave him a kiss. "In a few more days, we are going to be Mr. and Mrs. Hadrien Colomb!", he teased, kissing her neck. Victorine loved the sound of that. She had did a lot of shit to this man, and now, here they were, finally getting married. She guessed that they were meant to be after all, and had faced their hard times. She would be a good wife to him, and a good mother to their daughter. Hadrien rubbed her belly, then said, " I think it's time to give her a name. I was thinking 'Kalan' , in memory of my father."
   Victorine thought that was a perfect name for their baby girl. "Yes, bae! Kalan Elizabeth Colomb! It's perfect!" Hadrien agreed. Kalan Elizabeth Colomb was their daughter's name, and he couldn't wait to meet her.
***************************************************************
   Celestine had been busy at work, building an arch for the wedding ceremony. Pastor Ennis had agreed to come out to the house, and Jeraina Faye had enlisted the help of some of the women from the meeting to help cater the affair. Everyone was invited and eager to see Victorine and Hadrien say 'I do'.
   Everyone that is, except Merlynne. She was still in mourning of their relationship, and had convinced Tameka that she was at her wits end, so Tameka drove her to Dr. Joe's place. When he saw Tameka, he smiled, glad to see the girl had gotten herself together. He could feel her happiness radiating. But he sensed bitterness from the other girl, and knew right away that she was here to cause pain because she felt heartache. He welcomed them into his home and his wife offered them refreshments, but they declined.
   After speaking only to Tameka for a brief time, he turned his hard gaze to Merlynne. She shivered when their eyes met. He began to speak, telling Merlynne, " You. You are hurting from the loss of someone you cared a great deal for, a man who belongs to another. This woman is a very powerful woman", he said, turning to look at Tameka. He continued as Merlynne shook her head silently, " This young man is marrying her, this week. They are happy together, but you want to break their union, because you feel cheapened from rejection. You want to see them hurt, as you are, but even you know that when you put out negativity, purposely, you yourself shall be harmed, three times over. ". Merlynne swallowed hard, and she could no longer hold her emotions in anymore. Tears streamed her face as she sobbed and wailed, her heart full. She had loved Hadrien in that short period of time, and thought they would have been good together. But he merely tossed her aside for Victorine's scheming ass. Dr. Joe listened to her tale, then he stood, abruptly, frightening the girls. Merlynne looked up at him, afraid of what he would say next. Dr. Joe shook his head, then said, " Young lady, you must love yourself first! And forgive yourself! " Merlynne's eyes got big as he said, "You know what I'm talking about!" Merlynne knew Dr. Joe spoke of the secret abortion she had when Nick had gotten her pregnant. Merlynne didn't foresee a life with Nick, who only wanted her because 'she was fine'. Nick sold dope and lived with his older sister Octavia, her baby daddy, and her five kids. Nick didn't have anything going for himself, and she hated him for all the times he hit her. No, she most definitely did not want to have his seed, to be tied to him for life, so she had an abortion. She hadn't allowed herself to grieve over her decision; she quickly bounced back and simply tolerated Nick. Hadrien had blew her mind, and he showed her a side to man she had never known.
Yet in the end, he was just like the rest. A dog. And still she wished it was her having his baby and taking his name.
   Dr. Joe touched Merlynne's hand, the told her to get up. "You must make peace with this. The man is no longer yourn. He is with the person he's supposed to be with. You must let go. Come to terms with this. There is a man out there", he pointed, " waiting for you. You will have a family. You have to be strong, because you're only going to bury yourself if you keep obsessing over this man!", his voice boomed. Merlynne knew it was true. The finality of it all cradled her.
   When they left Dr. Joe's, Tameka noticed a change in Merlynne, but wondered how long that would last.