Work

Victorine was dreaming. She was cooking in the kitchen for Hadrien, who was sitting at the table. Her round belly was beautiful as Hadrien kissed it and talked to their daughter. He kissed her, and she felt the best she ever had. As she was putting the food on the table, a deformed mass passed through the hall, startling her. She heard a gurgle, then turned around to see blood seeping out of Hadrien's mouth. A wet, putrid odor clung through the air and there was Derek, standing behind Hadrien, pulling his intestines out. Victorine screamed as he flung himself at her, biting her stomach, trying to eat her unborn baby! She screamed again, this time coming out of the dream and waking. Hadrien jumped out of the chair he slept in and went to her. Victorine's eyes were wet and wild looking as she held onto him. "Oh, Hadrien! He was here! He killed you, and wanted to eat the baby!", she cried. Hadrien tried his best to calm her. He put her in the shower, then walked into the kitchen where Jeraina Faye stood, cooking breakfast. She looked at him, then said, " Good morning! ", and continued her task. The smells were so good, Hadrien immediately felt famished. Jeraina Faye acted like nothing had happened between them, and it puzzled Hadrien. He went back to see if Victorine had finished her shower. They went into the kitchen together and Dex joined them. He gave Hadrien a look, then poured himself a cup of coffee. Victorine took the plate of food her mamma gave her and dug into it. Hadrien told her he had to go to work, but he'd be back later. Jeraina Faye turned and looked at him devilishly, then offered him a plate. He politely refused, saying he was already running late and he'd get something on the way. He kissed Victorine's forehead and walked to the door, stealing a glance of Jeraina Faye's body as she served Dex. He walked to his truck and drove to TonTon's. Mrs. Cecile told him that TonTon had already left, so he quickly dressed himself and left.
When he arrived, TonTon was in conversation with Mr. Willie. Apparently, him and Fiyah was going out today as well. He saw Teta hugging Fiyah, her belly reminiscent of Victorine's in the beginning. She handed out some delicious biscuits and ham to the men, and brought some over to TonTon and Mr. Willie. Hadrien hadn't eaten and began to crave her food. He walked over and asked if he too was welcome to a biscuit. Teta handed him the sandwich, and a vision came over her. She saw darkness, murky darkness, and heard a scream so bloodcurdling, she screamed herself. Fiyah jumped out of the boat and ran to her. Hadrien tried to calm her, but Teta could not be calmed. Fiyah took her into his arms, letting her know he was there and that she would be alright. He gave Hadrien a hard look, then TonTon and Mr. Willie came over. "Teta! Teta!", they yelled, but Teta only held onto Fiyah's body. Her eyes rolled back into her head as if having a seizure, and this frightened everyone, especially Hadrien. He wanted to help her, to do something for her, but the look her new husband was giving told him to back off. She soon came out of it, a confused look upon her face. She apologized for the drama, and Fiyah helped her to the car. He told his grandfather he would stay home with her today, and he drove away with Teta. Hadrien's heart felt heavy as he realized he never got over Teta. He wanted to be the father of her child, the man who gets to wake up next to her, and the blessed man who got to bed her at night. His head began to hurt, then he wondered what she had seen.
***************************************************************
Dreeky got a call from a modeling agency who specialized in gay men models. They offered him a gig Uptown at an upcoming show. He was so excited and immediately agreed. Cesaire walked in on his celebration. " I got a gig, Uptown baby!", he gushed. Cesaire smiled, his sexy pirate goatee curling. "That's wonderful, love!", he said, pulling Dreeky to him. " I think a shopping spree and a day of pampering is called for!", said Cesaire. " Ooh, let me call Victorine and see if she wants to come. I have a bad feeling something has happened surrounding her", Dreeky told Cesaire. The love and bond Dreeky had with Victorine touched Cesaire. He knew she meant a lot to him. "Well, I tell you what. Call her and see if she's free. Take the car and my credit card. Have a spa day on me, okay? And tonight you and I will have dinner at Angeline, alright?", he informed. He kissed Dreeky's lips passionately, then that led to a little loving in their bedroom. When Dreeky finally called Victorine, it was almost 11:00. Victorine answered her phone, sounding funny. " Hey girl! Get ready, cuz I'm coming scoop you up!", said Dreeky. Victorine eagerly accepted and told Dreeky to hurry.
Dreeky pulled up to Victorine's house in Cesaire's sleek, black Mercedes. Victorine hopped up and hugged Dreeky. "Hey baby! Look at you, you're really getting out there", said Dreeky. Victorine tried to smile, then blurted out, " I killed him, Dreeky! I killed Derek!" Dreeky couldn't believe what he was hearing. Victorine told him all of the details as he drove into the city. "He was like a crazy person! All I could think of was the baby!", she cried. " Thank God Hadrien came help me! We put his body in the swamp!" Dreeky accelerated the car, suddenly worrying. He knew his friend was in over her head. "Who else knows this?", he asked. " Just my mamma and Dex. I wasn't gonna tell her, but I couldn't help it!", cried Victorine. Dreeky felt so bad for her, but wondered what he could do. "Okay, okay baby! Everything is gonna work out alright! Just relax, and breathe. Let's go get our pamper on!", said Dreeky. A day at the spa was exactly what Victorine needed. She was finally able to relax a bit. Dreeky told Victorine about his modeling gig and Victorine smiled so big, he thought she would roll off the bed. She told Dreeky about Hadrien seeing Tameka's friend, and how he spent the night at her house. " I'll get him back. It's obvious he still loves me, otherwise he wouldn't have gotten involved. He wants this child so badly. Why couldn't I realize that before? Girl, Derek had me fucked up. Now, I just gotta keep my ear to the ground to hear any news of him. Hopefully, them alligators got to him! Oh, I know I sound like the worst bitch in the world, but I'm glad he's gone! He would be so rough with me when we'd do it, even though I was pregnant!! When we would go out, I would have to pay for everything, and he'd flirt with every girl he saw. You know, I feel bad for what I did to Tameka, by sleeping with Derek. He wasn't worth all the trouble it caused!", she realized. Dreeky couldn't help it. "Girl, don't you worry about Tameka Ross, baby! I saw her with Tim Smooth the other day, and baby, when I tell you, she was looking fabulous honey! Nothing like she was looking when she got out of the hospital! And Tim was looking as fine as ever! Girl, he done moved her and her baby in with him on the West bank!", gushed Dreeky. Victorine listened to this, figuring things out. So, Derek must have found out about Tameka and Tim, for him to be tripping like he was. " Tootie about to have her baby, too", said Dreeky. "I heard she had to get her brother Shotta for Derek's ass", he said. Victorine chimed in knowingly and said, " He even got a lil young girl named Brittany pregnant. I was so stupid to think he'd be faithful to me." Victorine looked sad, then. Dreeky looked at her and wished he could turn back the hands of time and fix everything right.
They left the spa then went shopping on Magazine Street, Victorine's favorite place. He treated her to an amazing maternity outfit, and even bought a couple of items for the baby. Victorine was touched. "Will you and Cesaire be the baby's godparents?", she asked. Dreeky was so touched, tears flowed from his eyes. " Of course we will! ", he exclaimed. They had lunch at Dooky Chase's, then Dreeky brought Victorine home. He promised to keep her informed on everything that was happening. Victorine hugged Dreeky, grateful for her friend. She didn't know what she would have done at home if Dreeky hadn't came get her.
**************************************************************
Teta lay in her bed, doctor's orders from Fiyah. She felt silly laying there, and got up to go to the bathroom. While in there, she felt a presence. She walked back to her bed and then she saw him, Papa Legba, sitting on her chair. He looked at her closely, then focused on her stomach. " Ah, you're with child", he spoke deeply. Teta was afraid of what he would do to her. She had talked Fiyah into going back to work. He agreed only if she'd stay in bed. So here she was, alone with Papa. He rose, then stood directly in front of her. He touched her stomach and she felt something pass through her. "Please, Papa!", she begged. " Please spare my child!" Papa Legba looked at her, a grim countenance about him. "You could have loved ME! You could have had the world! But you choose a fisherman and childbearing!", he roared. " What type of woman are you? That you should cast away fineries and delight in the vagabonds? Your mystique intrigues me! Your ways baffle me! Your love weakens me! Your betrayal wounds me!", he boomed. "How can this be?" Teta stared helplessly at the Deity before her. She had no words, only feeling. Her pain was evident to Papa. But his need for her grew, as he could stand his longing no more. Papa Legba held Teta to him, her powers greater. Her full breasts seemed fuller, and he knew her sacred mouth would be heavenly Divine. Papa took his liberty and entered her, taking great merit not to damage the child, and simply stayed there, soaking in Teta's juices. She clenched her vaginal muscles shut, and Papa moaned as he grew larger into her. Teta's mind flew as he tried not to pummel her, his attempt at tenderness. She couldn't deny her familiar want, as she loosened her muscles, allowing Papa's humongous penis to drill deeply into her. It was mechanics as he worked his way into her flesh, losing himself, and his power. Papa Legba's life force entered Teta's womb, wanting to have the experience of being birthed to her. It snuggled next to it's twin, Fiyah's child, and settled in, beginning to be fed by Teta's wonder. Teta stood, amazed and alone, her children inside of her. Papa Legba had finally granted her peace, and gave her life instead of death. She cried then, knowing he was gone and the gallant way he went moved her so, she wept until she couldn't anymore. Her heart hurt, because she now knew part of her felt something for Papa. He had brought out desires hidden in her. He added on to her powers in a way so profound. He couldn't bear the fact of losing her to a simple man. She was to be his mother now, and she would keep her secret to the grave. She was being granted a chance to be a mother, and these children would not be absorbed. They would grow, and flourish, for they would be Indigo Children, her saviors.
**************************************************************
Jeraina Faye sat in her room, a plan of plans forming. It was time for her to step up. Ever since Victorine been pregnant, her counseling had been falling off. The house in New Orleans was supposed to be for her own venture, but Jeraina Faye wanted to stay here, in the bayou, simply because of Hadrien. That man was giving her life. Why'd he have to be linked to her daughter? She thought of redeeming herself; but redeeming herself would be a task around here. Everyone knew of Jeraina Faye's powers, and people respected her out of fear.
Jeraina Faye had Dex drive her to TonTon MaCootre's house. The old man and Hadrien was busy at work in the barn. TonTon's eyes showed worry when he seen Jeraina Faye. She walked up to him and said, " Hello, TonTon. Forgive my showing up, but I'd like to discuss something with you." Hadrien walked out of the barn, trying to see what was happening. Dex stayed in the car. TonTon and Jeraina Faye walked into the house, where Mrs. Cecile was baking some chicken in the kitchen. She looked surprised to see Jeraina Faye in her house again. They offered her a seat at the table, and offered her coffee. Jeraina Faye declined, but sat straight up, and said, "I came here to ask your permission to hold the meetings and resume the counseling in my daughter's place. Since she is pregnant, I feel she doesn't need the added responsibility of the counselate. I came here to make peace, and hope you understand, I am coming here with respect. But whether I have your blessing or not, I WILL be the new Hoodoo counselate round these parts. The time has come, and there is no one to challenge me!, she said. Mrs. Cecile looked at TonTon. He closed his eyes for a minute, his age catching him. He looked at Jeraina Faye then said, " You better do right as counselate. I grow tired, and Victorine grew preoccupied. So you better do right, or else the ancestors will whip your ass!" Jeraina Faye stood, the agreement set in stone. "I will hold the first meeting this Friday night. If you could spread the word," she added. TonTon nodded his head. She said her goodbyes then walked outside, where she saw Hadrien waiting in the barn, his shirt off, his sexy abs and chest glistening with sweat. It was hard to do, but she took her eyes off of him and got in the car. Dex drove away down the dirt road, his car a ruby in a cloud of dust. When TonTon came back outside, Hadrien asked what had happened. "Looks like you gonna have to take out the drums," he said, partly giddy, and partly suspicious. TonTon lived for the old fashioned meetings of the olden days. As evil as she was, he knew she would be able to recreate a meeting night reminiscent of the great Marie Laveau.
**************************************************************
Dreeky and Cesaire had dinner in the French Quarter at Angeline. Dreeky was amazed at Cesaire's love of exquisite food. They had the Angeline charcuterie board, with amazing cheeses, stone ground mustard, and other fineries. Their second course was a Black eyed pea and Collard green soup. Cesaire savored the flavors. Their house salad was nice, crisp, and fresh. But their entrées of Smoked Lamb Shoulder for Cesaire and the Creole Shrimp and Country Ham for Dreeky were the spotlights of the meal. Dreeky relished the taste of the delicious food. Cesaire looked rapt as he ate on, not having a care in this world. The aged bottle of fine wine he requested complimented the meal perfectly. For dessert, they had the Chocolate Pot de Creme, and the seductive flavors of the dark chocolate, cocoa nibs, and whipped cream put them in another world. Dreeky was beyond appreciation for the opportunity to dine in these high end restaurants, and experience their hidden treasures. Cesaire truly was a worldly man, and he showered Dreeky with things he used to sit at home and dream of. Now, it was his reality.
**************************************************************
Victorine cooked a special meal of fried catfish, potato salad, green beans, and crescent rolls. It wasn't much, but she wanted to surprise Hadrien. When her mamma walked into the kitchen, she was surprised to see Victorine cooking. "I wanna talk to you about something, later.", she said then went meet Dex in the room.
Hadrien had done finished work, his mind eager as to what would be in store for him that evening. He showered, then called up Merlynne. She sounded surprised to hear from him. " Hey!", she squealed. He could visualize her smile through the phone. " I was just wondering what you were doing tomorrow, say around noon?", he asked. Merlynne told him she wasn't doing anything, so he asked if he could pick her up and take her to lunch. She eagerly accepted, and the date was made. He told her he would see her then, and hung up the phone. He pulled on a T-shirt and grabbed his keys. He drove to Victorine's, anxious to see Jeraina Faye. He thought of her all day since he saw her.
Victorine opened the door for him, wearing a cute maternity smock. She looked like a baby doll. He smiled at her and gave her a hug. Victorine relished his feel. She led him to the kitchen, where she had prepared a meal. Hadrien sat at the table as Jeraina Faye and Dex gathered. They all served themselves and got into the meal. Hadrien could hardly enjoy his food, because Jeraina Faye sat across from him, but he knew Victorine had her eyes on him, so he fought the urge to look at her mamma. Jeraina Faye then spoke, saying, "We're holding a meeting here, Friday night. I'll need you all to get the word out to the surrounding areas. Its time to gather the people and get this money.", she said, flatly. Victorine looked at her, then asked, " What do you mean? You're going to stand as Queen?" Jeraina Faye looked at her daughter, then said, " You have the baby to think about. And after all that has happened, I feel its best if I take over." She looked at Hadrien then said, " I'll need you to do your best work. "