Chapter 28

Jeremy's POV

"I love you." I whisper into Rebecca's ear before leaving her in bed. The past few weeks I've felt horrible for leaving her alone all day with Isaac and I know how intolerable he can be after awhile.

Speaking of intolerable, I roll my eyes when I see him casually strutting up my porch,he was late as usual.

"You're late." I say and he scoffs and tries to walk past me but I grab his arm and I hear him growl at the action, but I growl back louder and he lowers his head.

"Take it easy will you? It's not like anything is gonna happen to her today." He says giving me an attitude.

"Don't get smart with me pup. Anything could happen today and I expect you to protect her." I stare at him until he finally nods his head and I let him go.

My day starts normally, I caught up with Mark at the very edges of the pack and I become very worried at the amount of wolves he has with him for a simple perimeter check.

"What's going on?" I ask running up to him as he's smelling the air.

"Allen caught someone from Dylan's pack attacking the pack doctor. They've taken him away to the next pack over, they used silver and there's nothing we can do for him here." He says and I see just how nervous he is, I've seen how big Crystal has gotten, without the pack doctor here when she goes into labor there's a risk both children won't make it.

"Has there been any other sightings?" I ask and he shakes his head.

"It could mean nothing. It could mean they're attacking today. Either way I'm not taking any chances. I've already sent word for the pack to begin to gather in the pack house just in case." He says and my mind wonders to Rebecca. She should be safe, surely Isaac is taking her to the cellar any minute now.

"Are you sure you're not overreacting? It could mean nothing." I say even though I feel a little uneasy myself. He shakes his head and takes off his shirt and growls.

"I can feel him. He's near." He growls and shifts and starts running immediately.

"Mark!" I yell after him but he won't listen, he just wants the fight over with. I growl and shift to run after him, the wolves behind us follow and pretty soon we're running as a small but deadly pack following Mark to lead us to Dylan. He's practically leading us to our death, who knows how many wolves Dylan brought him. This whole war is ridiculous it's...

My thoughts stop as we enter a very familiar clearing, the same one we faced Marius, the ground is covered with at least a foot of snow and all the wolves around me are creating puffs of smoke in the air as they breath heavily after the run. I hear Mark's wolf growl as he shifts back to his human form and Dylan comes out from behind a tree fully clothed and looking as calm as ever.

"You're a fool to attack my pack. You will not win and I'll take your land as a peace offering." Mark yells at him and Dylan laughs and looks behind him. I growl lowly as I see wolves appear from the trees behind him, although they don't look as strong they definitely outnumber us 3 to 1. I start getting nervous and try to reach Mark through our mind link to give the order to retreat but he's blocking me out.

I shift back immediately and yell out his name, he turns around and growls at me, I've never seen such anger in his eyes and I submit immediately. I understand his mate is being threatened but if he allows his anger to control his decisions the entire pack will die.

Dylan's men are attacking the pack house. We're outnumbered!

I hear Isaac send a message to me immediately and I see Mark has received the same one and he clenches his fist tightly. We can't face them here and if we lead them to the pack house we'll only worsen the situation. I snap my head behind me and see that Dylan's men have hid behind us as well, we're surrounded.