Chapter 9

When I wake up my body feels numb and for a second I actually think I'm unable to move my limbs until I lift my hand to wipe my eyes. That's when the soreness hits me and I gasp and try to look at my wound when a hand stops me.

"Don't try it sweetheart" an older woman says to me as she slowly lays my hand back down to the bed. Her eyes look familiar although I've never seen her in my life. I look around the small hospital room and slightly panic.

"Who are you?" I ask moving my hand away from her, if any one of these wolves found out who I was they'd want me dead for sure.

She smiles at me and gets up to pour some water from a pitcher into a cup and hands it to me, I didn't realize how thirsty I was until I feel it soothing my throat as I gulp it down.

"My name is Heather. I'm Jeremy's mother" she says smiling warmly at me and I almost choke on the water. Why is she here? Where's Jeremy? What the hell is going on?

"I'm sorry I'm the one that has to greet you instead of my son but he had other things to take care of but I've just informed him that you're awake. He didn't want you alone when you did so of course I jumped at the chance to finally meet you" she says happily and smiles widely at me.

I smile back uncomfortable, she's so nice to me. Does she know what I've done? About my family? Would the rest of the pack except me this easily?

"Thank you for watching over me...I'm sorry I'm not good at introductions...Did Jeremy tell you anything about me?" I say slightly afraid that she doesn't have a clue and I'll be the one to explain to her how I was trained to kill her kind.

Again she smiles at me and lifts her hand to tuck a stray hair behind my cheek and let's it linger there for a moment before placing it back down.

"You're my daughter now Rebecca. My son's mate and your past means nothing to me Ms. Corvin. Especially since that won't be your last name for long" she chuckles and raises and eyebrow at me, I force a small laugh with her.

"I can't say the same for my husband of course and I apologize for his absence here as well. I'm sure you'll grow on him of course he spent most of his life fighting wolf hunters in his old pack until we were finally accepted here. Jeremy and Trevor were just babies at the time but..."her words trail off as she mentions Trevor and she gets quiet and looks down at her lap.

My palms start getting sweaty and a ball of guilt starts forming in my stomach and I almost want to throw up. I've just killed this woman's son and I'm mated to her other son. No wonder her husband doesn't want to meet me but how can she stand me?

"I'm sorry" she snaps her head up and her eyes look glassy.

"I don't hate you Rebecca. I just want to get past this and hope that you get better soon" she says and smiles. I try my best to smile back.

I look to my left and see my whole shoulder bandaged up,practically making me half a mummy as the bandages wrap around closely to my neck and the top of my chest as well. I notice some small red spots slightly visible through the bandage and touch them gently. I've seen some pretty bad injuries come from wolves in my family and always thought as them as marks of heroism but this wasn't the case. I felt ashamed with myself and ugly, this ugly scar would stay with my forever and I deserved that. Then the battle slowly starts fading into my head and I turn quickly to Jeremy's mother.

"Is Crystal okay?! She was hurt and I never saw what-" she shushes me and rubs my arm soothingly.

"She's fine. Our Luna is safe and tonight she will rejoin the pack out of hiding in a little party we're throwing for her." She says and I calm down a bit. The expression on her face changes and she looks at the door just seconds before Jeremy walks in.

"I'll leave you two alone then." She gets up and hugs Jeremy for a moment before leaving the room.

He looks at me up and down for a moment with a worried expression on his face before finally going over to my bed and kissing my forehead quite passionately, I know he wants to hug me but the bandage stops him.

"I thought I lost you back there" he says leaning his head against mine.

"Well I'm fine." I say and move my head to the side. I feel awkward, he shouldn't be greeting me like this. I shouldn't be treated this nicely I just don't.

I look up to see Jeremy staring at me intently,"Tell me what's wrong" he says and I shake my head.

"I've just been treated like some dogs chew toy. There are a number of things that are wrong." I say and roll my eyes.

"Tell me then" he says and stands up straighter, the movement makes his face easier to view in the light and I can see just how tired and sad he looks.

"I want to see Crystal. She's my friend." I say hoping it would make him feel better to see his best friend Mark as well.

"You're not well enough yet, your wounds are still fresh you need round the clock care especially with the pains meds needed for a wound like that." he says and the way he talks makes me feel like a child.

"Just let me see her please. Your mom told me there's going to be a party tonight. I can go please. I feel fine. Just because I'm human doesn't mean I can't heal. I just do it 10 times slower than you" I laugh softly trying to make a joke and he smiles slightly but the room stays silent for a moment.

"You were the one that gave her that knife didn't you. You risked your life for us. I never imagined you could have found your way into the fight. Why?" He says sounding hurt.

"I don't know. I wanted to seem...valuable. That I'm not a wolf hunter anymore" I say and he sighs and walks to the other side of the room.

"Fine. You can see Crystal and we'll get you ready for tonight" he says finding a bag with my clothes in it.

"But no drinking. You'll have to be on a lot of meds for your injury" he scolds and I roll my eyes.

"I'm not even old enough to drink" I say and he looks at me for a moment.

"Are you old enough to do anything?" He says and I smirk at him.

"I'm 18. What do you think?" I say and he clenches his jaw for a moment.

"Not until you're a wolf you can't handle what wolves do" he says and smiles at me.

He starts placing my clothes on the bed and my thoughts wander to my grandfather, he's gone. But his in his lasts words he said I could only be safe here. Maybe whoever is coming after me won't find me. And I can begin my life here. Possibly a new one..as a wolf.

A/N: dont forget to vote please!!