Chapter 24

Tris POV

Max failed to tell my class that we aren't doing fear simulations or landscapes, we are doing knives again.

I go to set up with Tobias helping me. I put three knives at each station. We start to practice, when everybody else walks in. Eric is teaching us today, along with Tobias, not Amar or Max.

For some reason right now Eric has a grudge against me. This will be fun.

"Today we are starting with knives. Everybody go to a station." He tells us, looking and sounding angry. Probably mad at Tobias again.

I go over to one of the stations, next to Annie, and I stare at the knives.

"STIFF! DID YOU NOT HEAR ME!" Eric yells.

"I did." I say back.

I turn and face him crossing my arms.

I don't know why, but I just don't want to pick up the knives today, most days I would, but today I have a feeling someone is going to get hurt.

"Hey Stiff!" Peter yells to me. "Remember what a KNIFE is?" he asks.

I pick up the knife, staring at Peter. I throw the knife, hitting dead center, not taking my eyes off of him.

I am the first to hit a target.

He picks up the knife, aims, then throws, not even getting the target.

"Hey Peter. Remember what a TARGET is?" I yell at him. Tobias has a huge smile on his face now.

I throw the rest of my knives, and grab more from across the room. On my way back to my target, I look at Al, he hasn't even gotten the back board yet.

"Al!" Eric yells. "Why are you missing the target?"

Al just shrugs.

"Go and pick up the knives." Eric says.

"No" Al says sternly.

"Scared?"
"Of an air-born knife? YES!"

"EVERYBODY STOP!" Eric yells.

We all stop.

"Go stand there." Eric says.

He points to one of the targets, and Al walks over there.

"Four give me a hand?" he asks.

"No." Tobias says.

"FINE! Tris?"

I nod. I walk over to where Al is standing.

"If you flinch. Your out." he tells me.

I grab a knife. I start to aim, when I feel someone grab my arms.

"Don't" Tobias yells. "Just because hes gonna flinch, doesn't make him a coward."

"Fine. Then you go over there Tris" he says to me, pointing towards the target. "And Mr. Four over here, will throw knives, but I swear, if you even barley flinch, I don't care if you're a Pedrad, you are gone."

I stand in front of the target. Tobias may have as good as aim as me, but I don't trust Eric to tell him where to throw.

Him and Eric whisper, then he throws, the knife hits right next to my side. The next an inch above my head. After that, one that hits right next to my head, nicking my ear.

"Okay. Now leave." Eric tells us.

Everybody starts to leave, when I walk by Tobias.

"You did that on purpose." I tell him.

"You really think, he would let you get away with nothing?" he asks.

I just walk out, and I go to dinner.

When I get down to the room, I see Abnegation made us soup. It's a carrot and potato soup. I can't stand cooked carrots, no matter how hard I try, and whenever Abnegation gives us food, there's cooked carrots. I just push them onto the rim of my bowl, and start eating my soup.

I feel someones hand hit me on the back of the head, and I take my left arm, and I ram my elbow into their stomach. I hear a yelp, and realize it was Annie.

"ANTHONY!" I yell. "WHAT WAS THAT FOR?!?!"

"YOU COULD HAVE GOTTEN YOURSELF KILLED." he says back. 

Then Peter and Tobias come up to me. Tobias sits down right next to me, and Peter stays standing. 

"Stiff. I will get you back." he says. "I will beat you." 

"Maybe, we have fear simulations coming up soon." Tobias chimes in.

"And what is that?" Peter questions. 

"It's where you go through every single fear you have. Whether it be twenty, or ten. Whoever beats their fears the fastest, gets highest ranking." Tobias says calmly. 

"That's not fair. If a person beats me all because they have ten fears and I have twenty, then that's not right."

"Do you want to talk about fair?" Tobias asks. "I understand why you are worried. You're scared. A short, skinny, Abnegation girl beat you in fighting, knives, guns, and you tried to kill her."

"But-" Peter starts.

"No, you're scared. Why else would you try and get back at her. She is better than you."

"SHES NOT ABNEGATION!" Peter yells.

"She is training to be one. She is training to be polar opposites. Abnegation, and Dauntless. But she has an advantage, she has been a Dauntless all of her life. You're scared, of a short, skinny girl, that looks like she has no muscle. Way to be a man Peter. Your scared of a little doll." 

I am torn between punching Tobias, or hugging him. He has valid points, but that was also a little rude. But hey I'm Dauntless, I'm used to it.

"Peter. Leave. Or I will make you even more terrified." I tell him, making my voice sound scary. 

He bolts out of the room like a little girl, scared as he can be, with everyone laughing at him. He will try to regain his masculinity, but it sure wont be soon. He's afraid of me, a skinny, short, girl, that looks as if she has no muscle mass, and is training to be in Abnegation. He's sure dumb.