Grammar Nazi

Please bear with me. I know. I know. I'm gonna be taking you to school again. You should be thankful. But then again, not many people are. So do what you wish. You can skip this if you want. But if you're having trouble, please stay for your own good.

Do you know what " is?

You should. And you should use them to start and end conversations. See here look.

We were walking down the winding road when a man driving a red car came speeding up next to us. Do you gals need a ride he asked.

No we're fine on our own. Thank you very much though. We watched as the man continued to drive down the long winding road.

Understand where the conversation started? No? Yes? Well good for you. I'm sure if you looked long enough you'd be able to figure it out, but that's not the point. The point is that when you're writing, you want people to understand what is going on in your story. If you don't use " to start and end conversations, what's the point in publishing your story if your readers don't know when someone is talking aloud?

See here. Let me show you.

We were walking down the winding road when a man driving a red car came speeding up next to us. "Do you gals need a ride?" he asked.

"No, we're fine on our own," we said, "Thank you very much though." We watched as the man continued to drive down the long winding road.

See how much easier that is to read? And it's just one simple little button that you should press a lot more often than you are now.

Run on sentences have played a big part in the steps to becoming a decent writer. In my opinion they can often be used to get your ideas on paper before they leave forever. But nonetheless, if you do plan to publish your story on this site or any site for that matter, you should at least straighten out your thoughts and add the proper punctuation after each sentence.

Another thing that I can't just can't stand is when the author of a story doesn't understand the difference between their, they're, and there. That's literally one of the first things drilled into your head in fourth grade. I can use them all in a sentence and I can use them in separate ones too.

They're over there by their football uniforms.

They're all a part of the parade.

There once was a girl that thought she was dead.

The family across the street was plagued each night by their dog's barking.

It's not hard. They're is just another way of writing "they are." Their is a way to show ownership. And there can be used to describe a place you are in, at, or planning to be or can be used as a way to prove something exists. Hopes this helps.

And then there's your and you're. Your is a way to show ownership. That is your dog. You're is used as "you are." You're the best.
Understand? Good.

Misspelled words or different words than what you originally intended are relatively okay. I know some people have a hard time spelling. And I know some people use autocorrect and it sometimes changes the words around. I get it.

And that concludes this episode of a hypocrites guide to teaching. Please take some punch on the way out. You're going to need it.