The "Makes No Sense" of Environments

Environments are key to having a good story. Honestly I haven't made a good enough effort to enhance my "environmental writing" abilities. But trust me. If you can elaborate enough on the environment of your book then I bet you could sell the rest of your book to the reader.

But some people don't understand what type of environment you should choose for the certain genre of book. Like you're not going to place a science fiction story in school unless your main character is a teacher or student. Which still you shouldn't set it in school. That is probably the worst option to set your stories in. From what I've read, lots of people don't like school-set stories. But I'm not saying don't do it. I'm just saying don't make it stereotypical or cliche.

You'd set your story in space or underground or on an alien spaceship. Something exciting. I can't tell you how much I want writers to be better at elaborating scenes based off of their scenery. Because it obviously makes sense to have a gigantic hole in the middle of wall in the school building because you said it should be!

Also younger writers don't feel the need to explain why an environment is the way it is. They just say that the environment is the way it is because it is. Is there even a person with an entire ecosystem surrounding them in there? Or are you just lazy? Just please...

EXPLAIN! EXPLAIN WHY THE GRASS IS BROWN AND THE TREES ARE UPSIDE-DOWN. AND WHY THERE ARE PLANETS SCATTERED ACROSS THE DARK PURPLE SKY THAT HAS TWO SUNS. EXPLAIN WHY THE GROUND LIGHTS UP UNDER YOUR FEET! EXPLAIN WHY THE BIRDS CAN'T SING TO THE OPEN SKY! JUST. EXPLAIN.

And explain to me why some of you peeps are too dumb to realize that some people want decent stories with decent scenery details. Enjoy the rest of your day! ^>^