Part 32

‘Oh my god, you’re a wizard in the kitchen!’ Alex said, when half his plate was empty. ‘Or is it.. witch?’

‘It’s not that great..’ I mumbled, I was never good at receiving a compliment.

I was furiously trying not to react to the witch comment, because I actually might be just that.

‘Are you kidding? You’re amazing!’ Charley joined in.

‘Thanks, but it’s nothing, it’s my job..’ I muttered.

‘What did you do with this chicken? It’s heavenly,’ Alex said, eating another piece.

‘I marinated it with sweet and sour spices and added some honey to make the sweet come out some more, which would taste nice next to the fennel. It’s really not that special..’

‘I think she deserves for us to do the dishes,’ Charley said to Alex, he seemed to agree, and nodded furiously with his mouth full.

After dinner, both of them took all the dishes to the kitchen and they started to wash everything up. There was hardly anything left of the food, if I had learned anything at my job, it was being able to make perfect portions. I went after them to the kitchen.

‘Wauw, she cleaned in here,’ I heard Alex whisper to Charley.

‘Yeah, she bought some food and stuff on the market as well, didn’t even let me..’

I coughed gently and he immediately stopped talking.

‘I made a list of the rooms we have, I’ve even found a nice library, filled with books.’

Alex shot around to stare at me.

‘Are you serious?’ he asked.

I nodded.

‘Take me there?’

He was almost jumping up and down like a child. I smiled at him and nodded, he almost jumped through the roof, he looked very excited. I took him to the second floor and got out the keyring, opening the door for him. When he entered the room, I heard him gasp for air, I bet he was a huge fan of reading.

‘I’ll better leave this door unlocked I bet?’ I asked.

‘Yes please! I’ll just be here if you’re looking for me,’ he said, walking inside the room and browsing past the books.

‘Okay, bye,’ I said, laughing.

I went back downstairs to help Charley with the dishes, but he had finished them already.

‘Wauw, that was quick,’ I noted.

Charley turned and smiled at me and to be honest, that second I just couldn’t realise why I was angry at him anymore. That didn’t last long though..

‘How do you even have internet here?’ I asked, trying to ignore my feelings.

‘We had it installed, while we had our other instalments,’ he said, pointing at the stove and fridge.

I nodded and gave him a small smile.

‘Do you do your own laundry? I found the machine..’

‘Ehm.. well.. Alex does them mostly. He comes to my room once a week and I’ll give him all my laundry,’ he said, his cheeks flushing. ‘I don’t know how the machine works.’

We walked over to the hallway and into the living room.

‘Thank you for the lovely dinner,’ he said.

‘It’s no problem, really. I work in a restaurant remember? This is something I do on almost a daily basis..’ I said, sitting down in the lovely chair.