Part 5

Dad and Thijn left in dad’s car and Anna and Peter drove to our house in their own car. I still had to bring my bicycle home, but to be honest I didn’t mind. This meant I had time to think and be alone for a moment. We had cried inside the hospital, all together. Everyone had left now, so I had to go as well. I searched inside my pockets for my mp3 player, but it wasn’t there. I must have left it in my bag, which was home. I mounted my bike and immediately picked up my pace. To be honest, I wasn’t really watching where I was going. Just cycling around town, thinking, being alone. I rode to the curb and stopped. As I looked around, I noticed I was all the way on the other side of town. Still a little bit reluctant, I sat back down on my bike and went home.

Twenty minutes later I arrived home, where I parked my bike in the garden shed and walked into my house. Everyone was seated in the livingroom. Thijn was clearly cried out and was playing awkwardly with his fingers. I nudged him to go watch some television in my room.

‘Sorry I’m so late, I took a wrong turn and wasn’t really paying attention,’ I muttered. ‘Shall I make some coffee?’

My father nodded and he turned on a radio, probably to cancel the silence. I stepped into the kitchen and prepared the coffee machine. For myself, still not liking coffee, I poured a glass of apple juice. I took a packet of cookies out of the cabinet and put them on the coffee tray. A few minutes later the coffee was done, so I poured three cups and put them on the tray as well.

‘..so much like her mother,’ I heard my father say as I walked back into the room.

I decided not to ask about it and put the tray on the table. Realising I forgot the sugar and milk, I went back to the kitchen and took the sugar cup and filled a special cup with milk and brought them to the living room.

‘Could you let us talk for a little bit?’ Dad asked me.

I nodded and took my apple juice, closed the door to the room and drank my juice in the kitchen. As I finished it I walked up two flights of stairs and entered the attic, my room. Unlike I expected I didn’t hear the annoying sounds of cartoons. Instead I heard small sniveling sounds, muffled as if someone was crying into a pillow. I pushed the door open, it had been open for just a small bit. I found Thijn laying on my bed, he had muted the sound on my television and was crying into my plush dog. I laid down next to him on my double bed and cradled him in my arms. Even though we usually fought over just about anything, but we both knew it wasn’t the time nor place to fight about anything. I had to be there for my little brother, he too had lost his mom today. Fresh tears filled my eyes and ran down my cheeks. Thijn placed his hand on my side, trying to comfort me as well.