25. Adoration (Maine)

Words: 281

Characters: Maine

Genre: Angst-y

This was supposed to come out yesterday, but you know, life.

Next in line:

Church

Sarge

Washington

Thank you for the request, I'll get them done but as you know, I am busy.

Being a freelancer was easy. Being a good freelancer while maintaining your rank on the leader board was the hard part.

It seemed like no matter how hard you tried, there always seemed to be someone better than you. From a school stand point it would be like you were the A, and the rest of the freelancers were the A+. You thought the distance wasn't that big.
But, you learned that it was much bigger than you thought. You learnt this extremely obvious fact during the last mission.

You and Maine were supposed to act as a distraction while Washington, York and Carolina were on extraction. It was a simple and easy mission. In some sense it was but there was something (small) that weighed (heavily) on your shoulders despite the success.

A loud audible gasp left your lips as you fell to the ground. Correction, you were pushed to the ground.

You were going to protest verbally but didn't when you realised what happened.

"M-Maine?" A brief glance to you, maybe a reassuring one, before he continued fighting.

What had happened? Well, because your ignorance (lack of skill), you left your left side open. And, because of that (your slow reaction), it had forced Maine to take the bullet for you. It wasn't much, but it was still a bullet. He was the one shot (hurting physically) but it felt like you could feel the pain (hurting metaphorically).

A cough left your mouth as you refocused on the battlefield. Later, you could think about that. Think about the bullet he took for you. Think about how one day, he would be something great, while you'd be the same, always ten step underneath him.