Chapter Twenty-Eight

Andy had climbed up onto the bed after a while, careful not to disturb Ashley from his resting. He put an arm across Ashley's steadily rising and falling chest, nuzzled his head into the crook of his neck and sighed. Part of him still felt incredibly guilty.

Ashley had risked his life to save him, though... The idea alone made Andy tear up. Flattered was beyond an understatement, it was insufficient to describe how it made Andy feel.

He lifted his head slightly to gaze at Ashley.

As if it were on cue, Ashley's eyes cracked open and his brown orbs were visible to Andy, gazing back. His dry lips tugged into a sleepy smile.

"Hey, baby." He croaked. Andy smiled back and answered him with a gentle kiss on the lips.

No more speaking had to be done, for they both knew what the other was trying to say. They could feel it in each others touch, they could see it in each others eyes.

They loved each other. Andy, for once, felt a feeling of safety; a feeling of security. He felt like he could trust someone again. It felt... amazing.

Ashley was released a week or so later, after his recovery was to the point where he could walk again. Andy was still insistent on helping him out more than need be, though. Despite the fact the doctor had said Ashley was in good enough condition to do most things, Andy was still worried. What would happen if Ashley strained himself? What would happen if Ashley tried to do too much? What if he hurt himself more?

Due to these worries and concerns, Andy would get up at 6:30 sharp every morning to get Ashley's breakfast and coffee made. After that, he would do a bit of cleaning around the house, bring Ashley's breakfast up to him, and then spend a bit of time sitting outside on the back deck. Their view from where the lodge was built was truly beautiful, and for the first time in years, Andy found himself dreaming that this would be forever; that he and Ashley were forever.

One morning, roughly a week or so after Ashley's return home, Andy woke to find himself alone in bed. He had turned off his alarm, sat up all groggy-eyed, and then noticed that Ashley's side of the bed was empty. Andy started to panic.

Ashley was there when Andy went to bed, he made sure of that. He was asleep before Andy was. Where did he go? He never woke up early, and if he did, he wasn't happy about it.
Andy's heart pounded in his chest as he looked around the room wildly in search of signs of Ashley, but he was too scared to move his feet.

"Ashley?!" He shouted. "Ashley!" He bit his lip and squeezed his eyes shut, waiting for an answer.

And thankfully, he got one.

"Right here, baby doll." The familiar soothing voice, soft and gentle, washed over Andy's senses and calmed his nerves in an instant. Andy opened his eyes and saw Ashley, having just come around the corner, standing in the doorway with a plate and coffee mug. The plate had a freshly made omelette on it, the smell of which making Andy realize he was incredibly hungry.

"Where were you?" Andy sighed, relaxing against the back of the bed.

Ashley approached and sat on the edge, next to Andy. "You need to relax." He shrugged and handed the plate to Andy, setting the mug of freshly brewed coffee on the bedside table.
Andy frowned. "Wait, is this for me? Ashley, I was going to-"
"Get up early to make me breakfast like usual? I know. That's why I woke up at 6 to beat you to it. Stop worrying so much about me, Andy, I'm fine." Ashley smiled fondly.
Andy shook his head. "Ashley, no- no, stop. You almost died, and it's almost all my fault, I have to make up-"
Ashley sighed and cut him off. "Andy, just stop it, already. Please. I'm a grown man. I can wake up and make my own damn breakfast, and I can do my own damn laundry, and I can get the damn mail if I want to. I got shot, but I'm fine now. Okay? I'm right here. You don't need to keep worrying."

Andy pursed his lips and gazed at the omelette, eyes glazed with tears. "I'm sorry. You're right... I'm sorry." He whispered after a few moments of silence. Ashley sighed and leaned over, kissing his forehead.
"Don't be sorry, darling." He murmured. "I know what you were trying to do, and I do appreciate the thought. But- Okay, Andy. Look at me."

Andy lifted his eyes to look at Ashley.

"That's better..." Ashley smiled and brushed some hair out of Andy's eyes. "I love you. I love you so much, but please. Just relax, now. I can do my own things. Not to say I want to do my own laundry but... I suppose that's part of being an adult, right?" He laughed quietly. Andy smiled a bit.
"So you got up early just to make me realize I don't have to do your shit anymore?" Andy teased quietly. Ashley couldn't help but chuckle, and nodded.

"I suppose so, yes."
Andy smiled bigger and leaned to him to kiss his cheek. 

"I love you." Andy hummed.
"I love you too." Ashley cooed.
Andy smiled and leaned back against the bed once more.

"One question before we put all of this behind us..." Andy said slowly. Ashley sighed.
"And that would be?"

"You promise you don't have any more psycho criminal partners?" Andy teased. Ashley rolled his eyes and stood up.
"You did not just ask me that."
"What? It's a valid question!" Andy huffed.

Ashley stood above the bed and gave him a look, raising an eyebrow as if to say 'are you serious right now?'

He crossed his arms. "I have no more psycho criminal partners. I promise. Now eat your breakfast before it gets cold." He rolled his eyes and left the room. Andy smiled as he left and sighed contently to himself.
This was definitely where he wanted to spend the rest of his life... Just him and Ashley, together.

A/N: aight so i needed to end this so... Fin? Sorry @ everyone who wanted this to keep going but like there are a few reasons as to why I ended this;

- I have multiple other stories I want to focus on, and I didn't feel right leaving this hanging just b/c it wasn't one of those multiple stories

- I've been dealing with a lot of troubles regarding boys and love and shit {nothing major dw just crushing m a s s i v e ly on a guy who has a girlfriend rip me} and I've not had the motivation and energy to come up with cutesy lovey-dovey things

- I don't have the time to write a lot anymore rip sophomore year of college is b r u t a l yo

anywhosies

I might pick up What's it like to be a Ghost soon ?? Maybe ???? i don't know. I want to because people keep asking, but I also don't really care to write that right now...? like idk where to go with it ;-; but hey check out my other current stories; Hideous and Future pls <3