Chapter Fourteen

Together Andy and Ashley wandered the decorated fair grounds, set up as any typical circus would be with red and white striped tents, clowns, and people crowding around to see various booths. At the current moment, they were on their way to the acrobatic show in the main tent, a large one near the back of the grounds. It wasn't a long walk, but it felt like it because of the constant weaving around groups of people and keeping a tight grip on Ashley's hand as to not lose him in the crowd.

"Hey! Andy!"

Andy looked over his shoulder, and Ashley stopped. "What is it?" Ashley frowned, looking around. Andy narrowed his eyes.

"Someone said my name." He raised an eyebrow and nearly jumped out of his own skin when he felt a hand grab his shoulder. Ashley, however, snickered and covered his mouth with a hand.
"Hey, man, on a date, huh?"
Andy turned finally to see it was Matt, a grin that could near resemble the Cheshire Cat plastered across his face. "What the fuck, Matt?" He grumbled and straightened his coat out. "Not funny."
Immediately, Ashley tried to stop giggling, biting down on his lip. Andy shot him a look.
"Why are you laughing?"
"Detective Biersack spooks easily, huh?" Ashley tried to speak through his only growing laughter. Andy scowled.
"No." He grumbled again.
"Uh-huh." Matt snorted. "So what's up? Didn't take you for the circus type. I mean, you get enough of crazies at your job."

Andy shot Matt a glare this time and ran a hand through his hair. "For your information, Ashley and I are on a date. Need I offer more explanation?" He rolled his eyes and looked him over. "And why are you here?"

Matt shrugged, peeling a piece of powder pink fluff from the cloud of cotton candy on the paper cone-cup that he held. "Can't a single man go and enjoy some circus and quality cotton candy?" He opened his mouth and ate the cotton candy, the sugar particles dissolving on his tongue. "Want some?"

Andy wrinkled his nose. "Uh... No thank you. I don't care to eat straight sugar."
"Ah come on, you're lame." Matt rolled his eyes. Ashley cocked a brow, and looked at Matt.
"Why is one missing?" He pointed casually to the patch of buttons that were decorating Matt's ratty old biker jacket. Matt looked down to where Ashley was pointing and saw the spot that was missing a button.

"Oh, yeah. I lost one." He sighed.
"Which one?"
"Guns'n'Roses. I dunno, maybe it fell off somewhere." Matt shrugged and looked at Andy, who's face had drained pale at the mention of the pin. "What's with you?"

Andy shook his head and took Ashley's hand. "We're gonna be late to the show. See you around, Matt. Have fun rotting your teeth." He waved and pulled Ashley inside the tent for the acrobatic show. All he got was a chuckle in response, sending chills down Andy's spine.

Ashley gave Andy an odd look. "What was that?"
"What was what."
"You just-"
"Nothing. The show's gonna start soon, I'm going to get some popcorn. Save my seat." Andy left the tent again quickly, his original intention being to confront Matt about the Guns'n'Roses pin. How was it that Matt's pin ended up being sent to him as a hint about this whole... serial killer thing?
Did that mean Matt had something to do with this?
Or was Matt... oh god. Andy nearly gagged at the thought. It disgusted him. His best friend? There was no way.

But he'd worked weirder cases... The possibility was slim, but... still. It was a possibility.
By the time he got out of the tent, though, Matt was nowhere to be seen. Something about it was eerie to Andy, because he was just there a minute ago. Where would he have gone so quickly? Being that the show as about to start soon, and he was on a date, Andy decided instead of wasting time looking for Matt over what was probably a false lead, he did what he had told Ashley and got popcorn. He came back, side stepping through the aisle and sitting down with the bucket in his lap.

"Huh." Ashley muttered and took a few kernels of popcorn.
Andy raised an eyebrow. "What?"
"Nothing. Just that you actually went to get popcorn." He shrugged.
"What else would I be doing?"
"I dunno, you just seemed like you had something else in mind, is all." Ashley mused and looked back to the center of the ring that was set up in the middle of the tented area.

The show wasn't all that impressive, in Andy's eyes. Sure, a petite woman and a muscular man somehow managed to walk across a thin rope held 30 some feet in the air, once even going across on a unicycle. And, yeah, the trapeze routine was quite incredible, but Andy got bored after the first few swings.

Then again, these types of acts were never his cup of tea. He preferred his entertainment to have a bit of puzzle and mystery to it. Not that that was surprising... Look what career path he had chosen. Every day at work for him was a new mystery; a new puzzle. It kept things nice and refreshing.

Ashley stayed at Andy's for the night, and this time, Andy slept soundly. No corrupt dreams, no thoughts.

Just him and Ashley.

Ashley laid peacefully, sleeping soundly as well, wrapped up in Andy's arms and pressed into his chest comfortably. They fit together like a puzzle piece; two halves of a whole. It was the most comfortable sleep Andy had had in a while.

And in the morning, he woke by himself, but still, somehow, comfortable. Maybe it was the scent of Ashley lingering in the sheets, or maybe it was simply his groggy state of mind.
Regardless, there was a note on the bedside table that Andy brought himself to sit up and read.

Good morning<3

I had to open the coffee shop this morning and I didn't want to wake you. Have a good day at work, love you!

- Ashley

Andy smiled fondly at the cute note and set it back on the table. He grabbed his phone to scroll through, as it had died the night before and he was only just now getting texts he was meant to receive earlier.

His blood ran cold, suddenly, coming across one that was sent around 9 pm last night, only moments after he and Ashley had left Matt to go to the acrobat show.

Roses are red,

Violets are blue,

Cotton candy is sweet,

And, darling, you are too.

xo 27

Andy cringed, unsure if it was because the poetry was quite cheesy and cliche, or if it was because part of it set alarms off in his head. Alarms he had managed to quiet last night.
It was no coincidence that it referenced cotton candy, and Andy knew that for sure.

A/N: hi im sleepy hbu