Chapter Two

Andy woke the next morning with a pounding headache, no doubt from the stressful and quite shocking events from the night previous. He swung his legs over the edge of the bed after a few moments of staring at the ceiling, and rubbed his eyes. With a long, heavy sigh, Andy rose and groggily walked into the bathroom, where he reached over and turned the shower on to let the water heat before getting in. While waiting, Andy went to check his phone in case he had missed any important news. 
"Three missed calls, three voice mails... Alright, then." He muttered and held his phone up to his ear to listen to the first of the two. 

"Hey, Andy. It's Chief Fenton. Calling to ask about the note you received. Call me back to discuss."

Andy rolled his eyes and pulled his phone back down to look. "Yeah, I'm doing great, Megan, thanks for asking." He huffed sarcastically in response to the brief voice mail as he went to the second one.

"Hey dude, it's Matt. Alice called me and said something about you getting put on suspension. The hell is that all about? That's ridiculous... Whatever, since you don't have anything to do now, why don't we meet up at the coffee shop you've been going to. I wanna meet this barista you've been gushing over. Meet me there at 1."

Andy removed the phone from his ear and stared at it. Well, it gave him something to occupy his time... and hopefully it'd get his mind off of this serial killer stuff for a bit. Finally, he moved to the third voice mail, furrowing his brow when he read 'Unknown Number.' Who the hell...?
He selected the option to listen and held his phone up, prepared to learn that someone had just dialed the wrong number. But that didn't sound like it was the case this time around...
There was no talking. Just breathing. Quiet breathing. There was the sound of paper rustling, and a drawer opening, some walking around, a floor board squeak, and the sound of a dog barking-

Andy's phone slid from his hand, grip loosening as the shock took over and his jaw dropped. He knew that dog bark, and that floorboard squeak. His neighbor had just gotten a new puppy, and god damn, it was the loudest thing ever. It yipped in the middle of the night, and Andy sometimes laid awake all night listening to the damn dog. As for the floorboard, there was one specific spot in the house where the floor squeaked, and that was the doorway to his room.

Someone was in his house. Someone was in his bedroom. 
His eyes suddenly widened, realizing that that someone was more likely than not the someone he had been hunting down for weeks. Andy rushed over to his desk, crouching to the waste basket where he had put the note from the night before.

He reached in to grab it but amongst the mess of papers and envelopes, he came up empty handed. This alone sent Andy into quite a panic. He knew he had swept it in there last night, so where did it go? Before he did anything else, Andy jogged back into the bathroom and shut off the water. It was bad enough he had lost the letter, he didn't want to end up wasting a shit ton of water while he looked for it...

Andy then rifled through all of his drawers, all of the desk compartments. He double checked the waste basket, and even checked to make sure it wasn't in any of the other rooms. Andy had convinced himself he was going crazy; that is until he noticed something wasn't... quite right with his office.

Basically, his office was the one room he never allowed anyone to go into. It was the room with closed french doors, locked at all times, and where he kept every single case file and a copy of each case report. It was his work space. The only reason he had brought the letter to the desk in his bedroom last night was for the sake of convenience and eagerness to open it.
The double doors were closed securely, as should they should be at all times, but Andy could just barely make out something inside that set alarms off in his head. There was only one window in the office, and it was kept covered by thick, dark curtains most of the time. Andy sure as hell never left the curtains open over night, especially last night, yet there was an odd amount of light that kept the room dimly glowing and eerily lit.

"What the fuck!?" He grit his teeth, exclaiming loudly to himself as he rushed in and searched the room. In the corner, there was a lamp. Granted, he didn't use that lamp much, it was mostly placed there for decoration sake. Not to mention, that last night he was obviously not anywhere near that lamp.