Chapter Seven

Andy didn't sleep at all.

He just stared at the ceiling, laying on the couch of Ashley's living room. He felt that it would be invading of him to sleep with Ashley in his bed, so he insisted he'd spend the night on the couch. Only now did he slightly regret that decision... The couch wasn't uncomfortable, but Andy couldn't really find a good position to be laying in.
The thoughts running through his mind were so loud, Andy longed to quiet them. But he couldn't figure out how.

How was he supposed to sleep knowing there was someone following his every move? Knowing that there was a high chance something of his had been bugged with some sort of listening device? Knowing the one he loved so dearly was potentially in danger?
A soft smile pulled across his face.
Did he just admit to himself that he loved Ashley...? Yeah... He did...

Being that he couldn't seem to feel sleepy in the slightest, Andy paced around, looking around the apartment. At the end of the small hallway, there was a door that was left open. Odd, being that that door in specific had been shut during the party. He crept towards it and turned the light on, taking a look around. It was a bedroom.

Obviously it was someone's bedroom, and not a guest room, as there were old posters on the wall, and a collection of movies beside the TV. In the corner sat an old violin, propped against an old looking music stand. Did Ashley have a roommate?
"Holy shit..." Andy breathed, seeing what appeared to be a stationary set left on the desk and a collection of pens. The two pens that were appeared to be the most used were black and pink. Andy's breath caught in his throat. Could it be that whoever it was that occupied this room was the killer?

"Woah.. Normally I'd be pissed as hell about someone breaking into my bedroom, but, damn, can't say I'm disappointed that it's a cutie like you."
Andy whirled around and immediately backed up, staring at the man who had just entered the room. The man set down a Walmart bag and gave Andy a look.
"So what's your deal? You a friend of Ashley's?"

Andy rolled his tongue against the inside of his cheek. "Who are you?"
"Um. I'm Jinxx, his roommate? You're in my room?" The man, Jinxx, raised an eyebrow.
"Wonderful, care to explain that?" Andy pointed to the stationary set.

Jinxx glanced in the direction of his finger and shrugged. "My cousin just had a kid, I wrote her a congratulations letter. Is that a crime, Detective?"
Andy paled. "How did you know-"
"This is a tight-knit town, dude. You're the head detective of our local police department. Pleasure to meet you." Jinxx smiled. "Sorry about my first statement, by the way. My girlfriend would have slapped me if she were here. Just thought I'd give you a startle." He chuckled and went to put away the stuff on the desk.

Andy's eyes followed him carefully. "You still write letters?"
"What can I say? I'm old fashioned." Jinxx shrugged.
"Mhm... Can you give me your whereabouts over the past few months, please?" Andy crossed his arms, narrowing his eyes.
Jinxx turned around, eyes wide. "Woah, am I being interrogated? What the hell did I do-"
"Just answer my question."
"I was visiting my girlfriend, she lives in the UK. Look at my passport if you want." Jinxx rolled his eyes and pulled it out of a desk drawer, tossing it to him. Andy opened it and flipped through, eyes flickering over the pages. Well, he wasn't lying...
"You just got back today, then?"
"Uh huh. I was here during Ashley's party thing, but I was cooped up in here unpacking and resting from the jet-lag."
"And where'd you go after?"
"To drop the letter for my cousin off at the post-office mail box and to get some snacks from Walmart...?" Jinxx blinked, dumping the contents of the bag on his bed. Andy looked and saw the box of Nature Valley bars and a bag of pita chips.
He sighed heavily and rubbed his forehead. 

"Right... Sorry. I guess I'm just a bit paranoid-"
"Actually, something is a bit off about this..." Jinxx mumbled. "Where's Ashley?"
"In his room, why?"
Jinxx shook his head. "This stationary set was practically brand new when I left, which was like... I dunno, I wanna say it was July? Why the hell are half of the sheets of paper and envelopes missing?" He muttered, counting the envelopes again.

There was a sound of shuffling footsteps from down the hall, startling both Jinxx and Andy. It relieved both of them to see it was just Ashley, who seemed to have been waken by their 'conversation.'
"Oh, hey, Ashley." Andy sighed. "Sorry, did we wake you?"
Ashley shrugged and rubbed his eyes. "Nah.. What's going on in here?"
Andy opened his mouth to say something, but Jinxx beat him to it.
"Ashley, did you leave my room open while I was gone? Or did you use my stationary set?"
Ashley shook his head, frowning. "No, I'd never use your stuff. Why?"
"Because half of it is missing." Jinxx grumbled, putting it all away in the desk drawer.

Andy looked between them, and then saw the fire escape was located right outside of the window in Jinxx's room. "Um... did you by any chance have the window open?"

He drifted slowly over to where the window was, looking it over with a close eye in search of any possible clues.
"I think I had it open one night to air the place out. It was that day I kinda screwed up in the kitchen and got the whole place to smell like burnt plastic." Ashley coughed. Jinxx shot him a look, but verbally remained silent. Andy nodded and opened the window, finding it was quite easy to climb in and out.

"Andy...? Is everything okay?" Ashley worried, walking up beside him.
Andy shook his head and left the room quickly, snatching his phone off of the couch. He opened up his messages and began to type out a message to the Chief.

"Andy, for fucks sake, what's wrong?" Ashley sighed, growing irritated with the lack of response.
"He knows where you live." Andy exhaled.