XL. A New Home

Agatha had not yet decided on a name for the boarding school, but they had already started accepting students, most of whom orphaned. Margaret and Cole would have loved to have Fiona live with them, but everyone knew what's best for the child. And for Faye, who chose to stay with Fiona.

The Haverstons were present when Edmund arrived in an unmarked carriage with his cousin. The little girl was excited to see the twins again, and of course, Faye, who would not let her go even after she had stopped crying.

Fiona was also introduced to the Haverstons despite Edmund's reluctance. She only knew them as friends of Cole and Margaret. After meeting Benedict and Agatha, Belinda, who was trying her best not to break down and cry, asked her niece if she would like to explore the garden at the back of her new home, Edmund a silent shadow behind them.

Cole was finally at ease that Fiona was safe and that she would have Faye with her for most days. The two children had a lot of healing ahead of them and being away from Wickhurst and Willowfair, he hoped they would find strength in each other in Devonshire.

After a tearful goodbye with Fiona, Edmund reluctantly prepared to leave. Walking the young man to his carriage, Cole said, "I wish that someday you can tell us more about the Manor. There are still women and children trapped in that place. We have to help them."

Edmund shook his head. "I've pledged my loyalty to my family now, Lord Ashmore. You can take me, have the League interrogate me, but let me tell you now—my will know about it and they will do everything in their power to make me stop talking. Everything. Don't forget that I'm a Trilby too, my lord. I can sleep at night peacefully so long as I get to live and Fiona is safe. There are other people who can selflessly fight for others. I'm not one of them." His jaw twitched as he stepped away. "At least not yet."

***

That evening, Cole sat beside Faye in the settee and watched Fiona play with the twins. "Have you decided on a name?" he asked her. "The papers are ready. We just need your name."

Faye turned to him, a smile slowly forming on her lips. "I like that my name starts with the same letter as Fiona. I think I'll keep it."

Cole nodded. "Faye is a very beautiful name."

"So is Fiona."

They both laughed when Fiona squealed, running after Ysabella.

"I'm told that you've been learning how to read and write."

"Yes, I have."

Cole smiled. "The school will provide you with more learnings," he promised. He turned to Faye to add, "You and Faye will have each other. And you will have us always. You are both special to us now. This shall be temporary. Someday, we hope to bring you home with us to Ashmore."

Faye looked away. "But I'm not special."

"Every child is, Faye," Cole said. "I had a sister, you know. So I know just how special young ladies such as you are."

"Where is this sister?"

"She's not with us any longer."

"What was her name?"

"Leah," he said. "She was smart and kind. And she liked to read a lot."

"Truly? I suppose you miss her a lot."

He cleared his throat and nodded. "I do. Very much."

***

After spending another week in Devonshire, Margaret and Cole left to return to Wickhurst where they had to deal with another difficult mission: their wedding.