XXIV. Third Landing

Margaret looked around the parlor. She had been to Ashmore, but only during visits with his brothers. Back then, she was just the innocent sister they wanted to show around.

Cole sat opposite her in a settee, and she could feel his eyes on her as she carefully sipped her tea. She leaned over and replaced the teacup on the table between them. The sound echoed in the quiet room.

"I was stopped by bandits on my way here—"

"What?" he asked, leaning forward with a scowl.

"I forgot how many holes you have in your plantation. Is there just one?"

"Two," he replied, leaning back, the scowl still imprinted on his face. "What bandits are you talking about? Where?"

"Somewhere a mile away from here. I was on my way to Devonshire," she lied with a shrug.

Eyes narrowing, he assessed her entire form. "Are you hurt?"

"No."

"Did they take your carriage? Is that why you took a hackney?"

"No. I was traveling in a hackney—"

"Bloody hell, woman!" he erupted and she blinked in surprise. "A hackney!"

"I thought it would be safer than one of our marked carriages."

He scoffed, shaking his head.

"The roads are closed, by the way," she said. "Because of said bandit activities. I'm afraid I'm not the only victim this week."

Suspicion crossed his face. "Truly?"

She eagerly nodded. "And I'm afraid I was being followed on my way here."

That caused him to stiffen.

"I would appreciate if you do not throw me out," she hastily added. "I could stay in Theobald, but I'd hate to impose on family friends."

"But not me."

She let out a guilty smile. "Not you." She held his breath as he sighed and rubbed his face with his hand. "Before you left, you said you wanted to talk. Perhaps we can do so now?"

He froze and Margaret moistened her lips as her mind reeled for more reasons to stay. She looked away when his eyes assessed hers.

"But I'm quite tired. Tomorrow. We can talk tomorrow," she faintly suggested.

His jaw clenched. "Very well." He stood and rang the bell. When the butler reappeared, he ordered, "Please prepare a room for Lady Margaret. She's staying the night." He stiffly faced her, but she could sense that he was at a loss. Maybe he might even still be surprised that she was here. "I'll join you for supper later."

Margaret stared at the doorway speechless after his departure.

"My lady?" the butler asked with a motion of his hand.

She followed the man upstairs to the same guest bedchamber given to her in her past visits with her brothers. She had to hide a smile, knowing Cole was situated in the opposite wing.

"Do you need anything else, my lady?" the butler asked.

"None," she said, looking around the room. "I'm perfectly fine."

"Very good. His lordship will join you for supper. I'll send someone to help you prepare."

As soon as the door closed, Margaret counted in her head. She considered the time and hesitated. Pulling the door open, she poked her head out. There was a long corridor on either side, both empty. With a sigh, she stepped back and closed the door. She could wait until tonight, when everyone else was asleep.