XV. A Drive Home

Ysabella and Emma were overjoyed that Levi had finally come to his senses and eloped with Tori. The pair could hardly talk about other things apart from their brother's trip to Tiny Town, Nicholas' daunting situation as an unwilling witness, and the scandal their family was facing (again!), so much so that Margaret was surprised they even mentioned Faye at all.

"Margaret, when did we start taking in servant children?" Ysabella asked during afternoon tea.

She was in the process of composing a letter to their mother who was still in Devonshire with Benedict and Agatha. The purpose of which was to provide the dear woman an explanation to the recent scandal that involved another of her sons.

At her sister's question, she looked up and asked, "Do you mean Faye?"

"Is that her name? The girl who follows one of the lady maids around?"

"Yes." She bent her head to continue writing.

"Well? Is she a servant?"

"She is currently being trained to be a lady's maid," she murmured in response.

"How did she come to be under our employ?" asked Emma who was reading a book.

"She came to our doors asking for help." She paused and assessed her sisters. "Why?"

"Do we intend to pay her?" Emma asked. "Will she be receiving the same benefits as the rest?"

"Of course."

"Did she come here willingly?"

"As far as I'm aware, Emma, yes."

"Where did she come from, Maggie?" Ysabella asked.

"I do not know." She placed her dipping pen down and gave her sisters a serious look. "And I wish that you do not speak her name or mention her to any of your acquaintances."

"Why so?"

"Because I believe she escaped a very dangerous place. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to help her and I would appreciate if the two of you can help by keeping her presence in the household a secret. Also, please do not quiz her about things she doesn't want to talk about."

Emma's eyes were filled with curiosity while Ysabella merely nodded.

"I'll be out to run some important errands this afternoon. Do not go out of the estate. Max is at Ralph's in Dosett Street," she told them, returning to the letter. "Should you need anything, call for them. But dare not go there yourselves. You know how they hate if you barge in unannounced."

"You are always out," Ysabella commented. "You do not tell us where you go."

At that moment, Margaret happened to turn to the window. That's when she noticed the man. He was standing across the street. She would not have thought anything about it because he looked like any normal passersby. However, she had also spotted him two days ago in that same spot. "I'm seeing friends," she absently replied to her sisters.

"You do not have so many friends and the only one closest to you has eloped to Tiny Town," Emma pointed out.

"When you reach my age, ladies, you may understand that not everything is being shared," she said with a wink. "Including friends." She finished the letter and neatly folded it. "Do not wait for me for supper. I may come home late."

"It's not fair, you know," said Emma. "You are a lady of status and you go about Wickhurst as though you're a married one."

"I'm considered a spinster by many. With that comes specific privileges, freedom to walk about without a companion being one of them."