XLI. After Beginning

"Maggie!" Ysabella greeted her, "I miss you! We all do!"

She gave her sister an amused frown. "You know I'm merely a few blocks away, yes?"

Ysabella shrugged. "Well, yes. But we still miss you."

She chuckled. "Where is Mother? I was hoping to spend tea with her," she said.

"She's out. Lady Lettice is in town. But you can join us for tea. Aurora is here."

"Aurora?"

"My friend I met at Sheills."

"Ah, yes, of course," she said, following Ysabella into the parlor.

Emma was sitting in one of the chairs talking to a dark-haired lady. "Look who came calling!" Ysabella cheerfully said. "Aurora, you've met our sister in Sheills. But back then she was not yet Lady Margaret Devitt."

The woman, although terribly beautiful, was obviously a little older than the twins. She stood and gave Margaret a small curtsy. "It is my pleasure to meet you, Lady Devitt."

"Aurora is here to find a match," said Ysabella. "Need not be shy, Aurora. We are all looking for a match this Wickhurst Season."

"Not me," Emma objected, picking up her tea.

"You are almost the same age as Maggie. You should find a husband this season," Ysabella told her friend, ignoring Emma.

"Don't mind Ysabella," Margaret said, sitting down. "There should be no rush in finding a match. Age is but a number."

"That's what I've been telling them," Emma droned. "Look at Maggie. She was on the shelf last year and look at her now. She was not hunting as much as she is not desperate to have a child at her age. Right, Maggie?"

Margaret laughed. "Quite true. I enjoy every moment." Eyeing Aurora, who was smiling at her with a mixture of awe and curiosity, Margaret asked, "But have you any eye on someone?"

The woman blinked a few times. "I have not yet met enough gentlemen, I'm afraid."

"Yesterday, she danced with Wakefield's brother," said Ysabella.

"Wakefield?"

"Yes. His brother was in town and attended the same ball last night. Imagine if he proposes, Aurora. We would be sisters."

"Oh, Lord," Emma groaned. "You and your fantasies."

Aurora merely laughed. "I do not think Lord Bertram enjoyed our dance enough. I've stepped on his foot more frequently than I talked."

"But he's been eyeing you the entire evening," said Ysabella. "No matter. If he's not for you, we can always find someone else at Theobald. Wakefield will also be there."

"Should you have Wakefield in your thoughts every single moment?" Emma asked. "We have him for every meal as well," she said to Margaret. "If she mentions Wakefield another time, I will start to forget what my meals actually taste like!"

"But I have to agree that Lord Wakefield and Ysabella can be truly a good pair," Aurora loyally said. "He flushes whenever she comes near."

"That's because he's flustered, really," Emma murmured.

"Very well, I will no longer mention Wakefield," said Ysabella. "What about our brothers, Aurora? I'm certain one of them will be good enough." When she said it, both Margaret and Emma grimaced. Ysabella considered what she just said and her face crumpled. "Well, we can forget about them. Nick is too dramatic, Max too dry, and Ralph too young and immature."

Margaret sighed, shaking her head, giving Aurora a look of warning. "Do be careful with these two, Aurora. They do try so hard with their matchmaking."

Aurora chuckled. "I shall keep that in mind."