III. Evidence

Calan Haverston's missive arrived before Margaret departed for the weekend Theobald Ball with her mother and Levi.

M,

This is in response to your last message.

We found a gold brooch that held the Devitt family crest in the scene of the crime, which is the bedchamber. It places Devitt in the very room where the murder was committed.

Again, to answer your question about an interrogation, we cannot do so at the moment. We believe he is working with a group of people. He shall be at the Theobald Ball this weekend as we have guessed. I hope you could provide me with a good report as to his activities during the party the soonest you arrive back in Wickhurst. Be very wary for the party itself could very well be a good chance to concoct a plan if he is indeed working with someone. Meanwhile, I and others are working on other angles, as well as looking into other possible suspects.

-CH

Her mentor's words never allowed her mind a moment of rest as they traveled out of Wickhurst to attend one of the season's famous and scandalous parties.

Why would Cole do it? If it were true, what could be the reason behind it?

Was he working with people to destabilize the parliament?

Or were they both involved in something and things went awry?

Margaret let out a heavy sigh. She ought to think critically and without prejudice. Evidence would never lie.

And one was found that linked him to the murder.

"You look weary, Margaret," her mother said from across the carriage.

"Of course, she is. She takes on the problems of not only her best friend, but of the household as well." Levi said wryly beside her. "Among other things," her brother added meaningfully.

She shot him a sharp look before she turned her attention to Alice Everard. "It is merely the journey. I never liked carriages."

"She prefers horseback if you must have forgotten," Levi reminded their mother.

"Mother does so as well," she snapped.

"Quite true," their mother said with a smile. "I would still choose it over this boring carriage if my back would allow it."

Margaret stared at her brother. "You may have given Tori the list of eligible bachelors, but you know very well we have much to do still. You are to introduce her to Lord Chattoway while I distract her stepmother."

Levi shook his head and grumbled under his breath.

She saw her mother's blue eyes assess her with concern. She knew it was not about them meddling into Tori's affairs that concerned the woman. No, it was something else entirely that caused such look of worry.

Margaret smiled at her, taking in her mother's aging beauty. All of them inherited their mother's black hair, but acquired their emerald green eyes from their late father. Alice Everard was the sole living Everard who had blue eyes.

"I am well, Mother, do not fret," she reassured. When the woman remained unconvinced, she chuckled and said, "Truly, I am!"

Lady Alice opened her mouth, about to say something, but thought better of it and closed it once more. Her mother was witness to her suffering after Cole Devitt left. And Alice Everard, who was dear friends with the Theobalds, was never ignorant of who would be gracing this year's Theobald Ball.

Cole Devitt was indeed a great cause of concern for Alice Everard. He, after all, nearly ruined not only her eldest son, but a daughter as well.

***