V. When Men Gossip

Margaret found no reason to further her stay in the gaming hall. The young man whose name she wanted to know had suddenly left without notice, sly as a thief. That, in itself, was suspicious enough.

"I cannot stay for long, my lord," she reminded Lord Humphrey, her mind already on Tori. She should return. It might be good for her friend to be stuck in a room with Lord Wittlock, but a longer stay might attract a scandal.

"Of course, dear," her father's old friend said. "Spare me a few minutes, yes?"

She smiled and nodded, growing conscious by the second.

Humphrey talked more about her late father, their mining business, and the latest happenings in Wickhurst, most particularly Benedict's recent marriage. Humphrey was careful not to talk about the tragic mining accident ten years ago. Benedict and their father were trapped in the mines for days, and emerged with just one of them alive. Their tragedies did not end that day, however. For Benedict, for Margaret, and even for Cole.

From the corner of her eye, she saw him talking to Wakefield.

She did not know how much Wakefield knew about Cole, or if Levi had bothered to share the history with the man.

Turning her attention back on Lord Humphrey, Margaret decided she'd leave in five minutes. There was nothing for her here. If he had plans, Cole would not be stupid to do it here.

***

He was itching to get away because a part of him could not stand to be in the same room as Margaret Everard.

Why was she here in the first place? Had no one ever told her that it was not proper to be the only lady in a room full of men? And to have entered with Wakefield! The man wore scandal as his second name!

Was William Hayward, the Lord of Wakefield, courting her?

"I do admit, Devitt—I can address you informally, yes?" Without waiting for a reply, he continued, saying, "As I was saying—It was rather brave, if not gallant of you to decide not to pursue Lady Agatha's case," Wakefield was saying.

"There was no case to begin with," he dismissively said, stealing a look at Margaret as she talked with Humphrey. She was taking off her gloves.

"I see," Wakefield nodded. The man was too handsome for his own good, Cole thought to himself. He was a charming dandy.

Which makes him irresistible to most women, he thought.

Including Margaret Everard herself, a voice in his head added, leaving a bitter taste at the back of his throat as he swallowed the rest of his drink.

"Do you think it wise to escort Lady Margaret in this room?" he could not help but ask. He needed to know.

Wakefield's brows rose in surprise. "Lady Margaret is no stranger to me," the man said.

"But she is a stranger to most men here," he gritted out.

"Ah," Wakefield's eyes lit with understanding. "She is old enough to decide where she wishes to be. I would not be the man to stop her."

He cocked a brow. "Are you not?"

Wakefield's eyes glimmered with laughter before he gave it voice and chuckled. And that chuckle turned to a fit of laughter in a matter of seconds, causing some people in the room to turn their heads, including Margaret herself. Their eyes accidentally met and he saw a hint of a small smile on her lips before she turned away. Was that intended for him?

"Surely, you must be jesting," Wakefield said when he finally caught his breath. "I have no interest or intentions toward Margaret other than friendship," he explained in a lower voice. "I do not dally with sisters of my friends. Remove every female Everard off the list. I would not wish to meet all Everard men—five of them—in the middle of a rocky field with a gun. My life is too precious to waste for a duel."