XXIII. Road to Ashmore

"Where is Faye?" asked Ysabella.

"With the cook, I assume," answered Emma with Mrs. Beagle in her arms. "This cat just came home covered in soot."

Ysabella narrowed her eyes at the feline. "Not very lady-like to disappear and return looking harassed, Mrs. Beagle," she scolded with one finger. "Wait until your cage is done and you shall never step on a single cobblestone for the rest of your animal years ever again."

"Mrs. Beagle shall remain free, Ysa," Emma said, petting Mrs. Beagle's black furs. She turned into the corridor. "By the by, the brothers are here."

"And Ralph?" Ysabella asked, falling into steps beside her. "I must admit I do miss that rascal."

"He's here. The arrogance stenches the air, I tell you, sister. He talks about nothing but his training and how he endures it while others have already packed their bags and went home."

"Mayhap he needs a little reminder of how he can easily be thrown on his arse by two young ladies."

Emma laughed and led the way to the drawing room where the brothers were but they both stopped when they heard voices coming through the closed door. They were just about to press their ears against the wood when Margaret finally broke her silence by clearing her throat.

Both younger ladies jumped in surprise, eyes wide when they saw Margaret and their mother just right behind them.

"Do you have any business with the brothers?" asked Margaret, brows arched in question, mouth curled with amusement.

"None," said Emma, stiffly turning away.

"We're looking for Faye," replied Ysabella. "I'll look for her in the kitchen."

When they disappeared, Margaret and Lady Alice shook their heads. As she pushed the door open, Nicholas, Maxwell, and Ralph immediately stopped talking.

"I'll be going away to Standbury to visit Levi and Tory," she announced with a smile. Lady Alice sauntered to her favorite settee, one Ralph immediately vacated while frowning at Margaret.

"Why?" her youngest brother asked.

"She claims she misses me," she nonchalantly said, squeezing between Maxwell and Nicholas. "And maybe we'll finally put our plans into action."

"What plan?"

"Killing our dear brother," she retorted with a laugh.

"But why take the hackney?" asked their mother.

"You're taking a hackney?" Nicholas asked with a scowl.

"This is not the first time I'm taking a hackney. And it's in my best opinion that it's the safer," she said. "Bandits rarely block hackneys than private carriages. They know that most people who travel in hackneys barely have townsends to give."

Knowing Cole had already left Wickhurst two days ago, Margaret hired the hackney in full so they did not have to take another passenger and so she could reach Ashmore faster. Taking one of their carriages would mean their footman and coachman would know she was not headed to Standbury.

"Nicholas will go with you," Maxwell said.

Nicholas snapped beside Margaret and leaned over to glare at Maxwell. "Why me? Do I have to remind everyone that I've been the one tasked to travel to Tiny Town to serve as witness to our brother's wedding? I'm done traveling."

"I'm still currently on training," Ralph spilled out before anyone could turn to him.

"You always sit out," Nicholas told Maxwell. "You go with Maggie."