VI. A Leaguerly Probing

"Why are you breathless?" asked the gentleman to his friend who just rushed in.

"I sighted her walking toward the pond," said the friend. "Perhaps I should pursue?"

"Well, do catch your breath first, Luther," the other said with a laugh.

Cole did not wish to hear, but the two gentlemen were in the next gaming table.

"Say, my friend," said breathless man as he settled in an empty chair, "It was rather disappointing of Humphrey to have deprived us of her company last night."

Cole immediately became alert as the conversation progressed. So did Wakefield, who was sitting across the same gaming table.

"I had been meaning to enjoy her company since she strode into the room in that red gown, I tell you."

The statement was met with a chuckle. "You and every man in the room, Luther." A pause followed. "Well, save Humphrey and old Warren—the man was snoring in his seat right after they were introduced!"

Just as when Cole thought that it was merely a casual talk among two friends, that the topic was finally coming to a pass, the man named Luther said, "I heard she has no intentions to marry."

Cole threw Wakefield a sharp look, but Wakefield shook his head just as the other man replied, "I heard the same from my mother."

"Do you reckon she entertains lovers? I would not hesitate to be on the list if she has any."

"And I would not hesitate to share should you be generous enough."

Cole's jaw tightened and the two gentlemen snapped their head in surprise when he intentionally slammed his glass of brandy on the table, making Wakefield flinch. "My apologies," he said in a cold, flat voice.

They tore their eyes from him and Luther stood up.

"Where are you going?" the friend asked.

Luther snickered. "The pond. I heard it is rather a nice day for a walk."

His friend snorted. "Walk, you arse. The Town deprives us of any day, good or bad."

"Well, then I'm glad there will be no rain to ruin it."

"Are you serious?"

"Of course."

"She has five brothers."

"They're not here, are they?" Luther righted his clothes, undeterred. "By the by, wish me luck," he added before he turned away to leave.

Cole's eyes followed Luther to the door. And then he looked at Wakefield. "Are you not going to do anything?"

But the man merely shrugged. "I'm quite certain Margaret knows how to take care of herself."

"She's the sister of your friends."

Wakefield sighed. "Luther is a gentleman. The most he would do is flirt with her. I don't know why you're too concerned." And then he paused, remembering something. "Ah, yes. I forgot. History and all."

Glaring, Cole pushed his chair back.

"Where are you going?"

"Save my seat," he said before he stood and walked out the gaming room to find Luther. He cursed under his breath when he saw him already at the end of the corridor. The man was walking fast, his steps filled with intent.

Cole briskly followed, even considered sprinting, when his prey reached the side entrance of the estate and walked out.

"Lord Luther," he called out as the man was exiting the estate.