X. Mission

The last stop she made was to the Archibald estate. Tori, Levi and the twins should soon reach Standbury if their schedule had not been delayed. The faster she could urge Lady Archibald to convince her son, Jordan, to offer for Tori, the faster she could send a missive to Standbury for her siblings and Tori to return to Wickhurst.

She had not heard of Tori's stepmother making noise about her stepdaughter's disappearance, and Margaret doubted she would. The lady would not compromise their reputation just yet.

For Margaret, the stepmother was the least of her concern.

"Margaret, dear. What a lovely surprise," said Lady Archibald.

Margaret smiled. "I had been meaning to spend an afternoon with you, my lady, after our recent talk."

The woman laughed. "Lady Victoria must be very lucky to have you as a friend."

"I also enjoy this little scheme or ours. It's quite fun."

"I'm quite ecstatic, too."

"How do you plan to talk to your son, my lady?"

"The moment I get a hold of him, of course. I have already hinted my desire for him to marry. And I had not been lacking on praising Lady Victoria."

"They shall be the best couple this Wickhurst Season."

"Oh, but I believe it is Lord Benedict and Lady Agatha who caused quite the biggest stir!"

"Ah, my brother and his unexpected love affair," she chuckled.

"Fret not, my dear," Lady Archibald said. "Most of Wickhurst see them both as nothing but lovely. I would like my son to experience the same wonderful things your brother found with his wife."

"My brother is happy indeed. And I intend for Tori to be as well. Before the season ends, of course."

The woman sighed. "Ah, yes. The season is ending soon."

"Yes."

"We might not have enough time to make the announcement before then."

"But we can open the Sheills Season with it."

Lady Archibald's face lit up. "Of course!"

"I'm truly glad to share this little mission with you, my lady."

"As am I, dear. But what about you? Have you no suitors to consider?"

She'd rather not talk about herself so she veered the topic by saying, "One task at a time, Lady Archibald, one task at a time."

And she should hurry for her next one, she thought, determined to finish her tea.

***

Faye appeared entirely different that evening. She had been cleaned, quite thoroughly so, by Charlotte. Her black hair was properly held in a neat bun and her cheeks had a little glow of pink, although the bruises on the right side of her cheek and all over her arms were still vividly visible.

Apart from the bruises, she looked like most children, except for one thing. Her eyes lacked the glimmer of life. They were flat, emotionless, even as she said, "Thank you for having me, milady," in a soft voice. Her pale blue globes were that of someone who had been through the gallows of the darkest parts of the world and back to tell no tale.

"I hope they have been treating you right, Faye," she kindly said.

"They have, milady. They gave me food. And gave me bath."

Margaret nodded.

"I don't wish to leave, milady. I want to work here." One look at the girl told Margaret that she had been living her life pleading. There was no sign of shame when she said those words.