IX. Favors

"Just Faye," the child added before Margaret opened her mouth to ask.

"How old are you, Faye?"

"Seven—Eight. I don't know," the child replied, shaking her head.

Margaret nodded to show her understanding. From the corner of her eye, she could see some servants staring at Faye with distrust and suspicion.

"They're searchin' for me, milady," Faye said, lips quivering, fresh tears welling her eyes.

Margaret pursed her lips and straightened to full height. Her questions would have to wait. Turning to the housekeeper, Charlotte, she ordered, "Feed her and see to her wounds and bruises. Let her rest." She looked around the room at the expectant faces of the servants who had been in their family for years. "She's telling the truth until she proves otherwise." They nodded, some eagerly, others not so. "Speak of this to no one while I figure out what to do next."

Again, everyone nodded.

Margaret looked at Faye once more. "They will take care of you, Faye. For now, you're safe here. Do you understand?"

Faye nodded, a tear dropping straight on the ground.

"You will not tell them?" the child asked, voice barely a whisper.

"Who, dear?"

"Them. The men chasing me."

"Who are chasing you?"

"Bad men," Faye said, closing her eyes and fisting her skirts.

She could ask the child everything, but now was not the perfect time for that. If Faye was telling the truth, then she may be in danger.

"Don't tell them."

Margaret nodded. "I will not. I told you—you're safe here."

Faye's light blue eyes went wide, imploring. "Will you take me? I can work here. I can clean and mop the floors. I can do anything. Just let me stay. I won't even go out."

"I'll see what I can, Faye."

Margaret turned to Jefferson. "No one should know of this, not even my brothers."

Jefferson blinked, startled. "My lady?"

"If Faye says the truth, I do not want any of my brothers telling anyone at Grey's or wherever they spend their drunken stupors at about her. I shall be the one to inform them should I have enough details. For now, see to her wellbeing. I will be in my study." She started to leave but remembered something. "Have the carriage be taken out early on the morrow. I shall be out about town the entire day."

"Yes, my lady."

Margaret gave Faye a comforting smile before she walked out the kitchen.

Their mother had not been gone for long and strange things already started happening in the household. And she was the one left to take care of it all. And all the while she thought she had avoided such responsibilities entirely when she decided never to marry!

***

Samuel Theobald was too young and too rich to be among the writers of The Town Herald. The Theobalds were not merely known for their extravagant yearly weekend parties every end of the Wickhurst Season, but they were also known to be the most influential. They had two sons. One was married and residing in his own estate with his wife and children. The other one was Samuel. He could have chosen to do nothing. But for years now, he had been proving to everyone, including Margaret, that he was more than the name he was born with.

Apart from being her youngest brother's best friend, Samuel was also privy to many things around the Town, including the gossips. One he'd pick up every night at Grey's with Ralph and the other Everard brothers.