XIX. Changes

"You are certain of this?" he asked, stepping away and ready to leave. His question was giving her one last chance to change her mind.

"I'm certain. Do tell your butler to scratch me off the list."

He scoffed, the closest to a laugh he could muster. "I'll go on ahead."

"Can I dance with whomever I please now?"

"I never said and cannot say you cannot. I do not own you, my lady."

"I never insinuated that you do, my lord."

"Good," he said, looking into her eyes. "We both know the dangers of having claimed all."

Margaret knew she must revel in her success as she watched Cole make a turn and finally disappear. How could it be that her heart felt frozen and numb, yet still ached?

"You made it to the door, Maggie. Now, you just have to push through it," she said to herself as she righted herself. She must return to her family and put up an act, not simply for the guests and her family, but also for Cole. He must only see the new Margaret Everard.

Her thoughts came to a halt when she stumbled upon the last person she expected to see in the garden alone. Tori was facing toward the exit of the garden with a frown.

"Tori? What are you doing here?" she asked, surprised.

Tori turned to face her, eyes looking curious. Her friend looked back at the pathway behind her. At that moment, Margaret knew her friend ran into Cole merely moments ago.

Margaret prepared herself for Tori's reaction, her mind already racing to the best response she could give. "Margaret," Tori slowly started, walking toward her, blond tresses swaying beside her face as she did so. "Do be honest with me, please. Were you with Cole Devitt just now?"

Margaret blinked and nodded. "Yes, I was."

Tori's eyes rapidly blinked in disbelief and surprise. "You were with Cole Devitt."

"Yes, Tori, I was."

Her friend's mouth hung open and her eyes went wide. "Are you insane?" Tori hissed.

She smiled. There was nothing else to do, really. "Let us not talk about this." Tori opened her mouth but words failed her. Margaret snatched her friend's hands into hers. "Tori, please, this is not what you think it is."

Tori frowned. "Not what I think it is? What did you expect me to think, Maggie? You meeting the same man who gave your brother his scars? Who broke your heart?"

Trying her best to remain calm, Margaret said, "Just trust that I know what I am doing this time, Tori."

Tori's eyes filled with frustrated tears. "Maggie, he left you."

Her jaw tightened, and for a moment, Margaret thought the tears would finally come this time now that she was facing someone who had seen her in her worst. "I know."

"I do not understand." Tori could only shake her head.

"I cannot explain. Just trust me, Tori. I know what I am doing." Inside, she was praying her friend would let this pass.

Her prayer was answered. Tori eventually nodded and sighed. "You know what you are doing, yes? You are a stronger woman now, Maggie. It would shatter me to see you too broken once again. And I honestly feel that he could break you anytime." Tori pulled her for an embrace. "Very well," her friend whispered in her ear. "Is this a mission?"

Margaret could only chuckle.

***

After the Seymour Ball, the Everards spent most of their days preparing for the grand wedding of their very own Levi Everard.