XIV. What Happened At Grey's

Furious might actually be a better word if Margaret considered how his hand gripped her wrist along with his long and forceful strides that led them directly out of Grey's.

There were two carriage drivers talking outside and both stared after them as Cole led her farther away from the lamppost right outside the entrance and into a dark corner, behind a large stone statue of a man holding a deck of cards.

"What in the devil do you think you're doing?" Cole demanded, letting go of her wrist.

Margaret caught her footing, squared her shoulders, and smiled at him. "I've been trying to get your attention and have not gotten any response. I figured, since it is drastically necessary that I help my servant, that I have to take the discussion with you elsewhere."

His brown eyes were dark with furious disbelief. Yet the longer his eyes remained on hers, his face began to soften. "Why are you doing this, Meg?"

Margaret blinked away the guilt. "Doing what?" she whispered.

"How did you know about the case?"

For a moment, she was confused. And then she remembered her note. "I lied. I don't know what you're working on." His eyes narrowed with suspicion. "Truly, I do not know what it is. I was taking a chance in hopes that you will see me."

His brow twitched. "See you."

She nodded and awkwardly looked back to where the bright doorway of Grey's was. "Would you like to go back inside?"

"Bloody hell no," was his strong response.

"Well, I'm saying we should. I want a drink," she said, taking a step toward the entrance, but he stopped her. "What?" she asked. "Can a woman not enter a gentleman's club?"

"This is not a place for you."

"Whatever do you mean? My mother was a member here."

"You cannot be serious."

"Well, she was a secret member. She was the one who helped my father and his friends regain their membership when they were blackballed."

He pulled at her arm and blocked her path, his face serious. "What are you doing here?" He looked around. "Where's your carriage?"

Margaret began to feel an urgent need to make him stay. "It would be fun to play a card or two inside. Would you like me to show you how to cheat on Faro while we discuss the matter about my servant?"

His nostrils flared. "I do not have time for games, Margaret, most particularly the one you're trying to play."

"But—"

His eyes assessed her from head to foot, his frown growing deeper by the second. "And why are you wearing breeches?"

"I had to climb to a window earlier," she shrugged. "And I don't go to Grey's dressed as I usually do."

"Which window would that be?"

"Tori's, of course," she replied with a wave of her hand. "She and Levi eloped to Tiny Town this evening."

"And you expect me to believe that?" She merely shrugged. He scoffed in disbelief and placed his hands on his hips. "Do you often do this?"

"Climb windows? No, of course, not. Unless it's entirely necessary."

"Dress in breeches and go to Grey's," he corrected.

Margaret looked at him wryly. "I told you—I'm a member. Ask the manager. We are friends." As a matter of fact, she frequented Grey's on occasions when the League required it.