XX. Surprise Visit

"My men spotted two different individuals following you around."

"Did you manage to identify them?"

"No."

"Did you attempt to follow?"

The corner of his lips twitched into a smile. "Of course."

"And?"

"They have a lodging in Haram."

Her eyes rolled. "Of course. Naturally." She frowned when he just looked at her with an expression that was close to amusement. "What?"

"You seem to be familiar with these types of work. For a lady of your status, it is quite uncommon."

"I'm an Everard," she easily dismissed with a wave of her hand. "I know many things. And I told you I'm a secret member of Grey's. A fact you still do not believe."

"Because I find it hard to believe."

"Someday, I'll prove it to you." Her words snapped them back to reality and she said, "And of Faye's papers?"

He nodded, pushing a document in her direction. "The moment she picks a name, you have to fill this in. Once it is done, it will be processed."

"That's all?" she asked, awed.

"For common people, that's not all. They have to wait for months—even years—for this."

She smiled. "You just made me feel guilty."

"I'm glad you are." He leaned back into his chair. "Faye—That's her name for now?"

"That's what we call her for now."

"Has she said anything more about where she came from? The place she escaped from?"

"All she's willing to say it that it's a manor."

"We need more than that."

"I'll try again."

"Her parents?"

"None. The ladies imprisoned with her raised her."

He frowned at her. "You mean she has never been anywhere?"

"If her story is true, yes."

"We need to know who this manor belongs to," he said, standing up to stand beside the window.

"We might if I can ask her to retrace her steps from when she escaped."

He slowly nodded, hands in his pockets, shoulder against the windowpane. He was almost a silhouette. "You truly care about her."

"I would not be here if I don't." His brows twitched in what seemed like amusement. "I mean I would not be forcing myself in your home if I don't." That did not sound right either. "I'm not saying I abhor being here. It's just that..." She sighed. "You know what I mean."

Cole slowly nodded. "Meg, if this is difficult for you—"

"It's nothing," she snapped. "This is nothing. You said so yourself."

"I don't believe that's what I said."

"You said nothing can happen. Nothing is happening. Not even a progress to this case, see?"

He was about to smile, but he stopped himself and shook his head. "I will find out who is spying on you."

"And you will inform me once you do?"

He nodded.

"Good. Because I hate being spied on." That's my job, she added to herself as she stood. "Do not bother for tea. I'm leaving. Thank you for the papers. I will return them once I can."