XXXVII. The Chase

"Tell us what happened, Faye," Margaret softly said, kneeling before the girl. "Don't be afraid. We're here. We'll keep you safe. No one can touch you."

Faye looked around the parlor. Her eyes landed on Cole, who was pinching the bridge of his nose while he paced. She was seated between Ysabella and Emma, who were holding both her hands to sooth and comfort her. The twins, like Margaret, were wearing robes over their nightdress, both utterly concerned and confused.

"I woke up to the sound of his voice. He told her they must leave. He said he's taking her somewhere safe."

"What did he look like?"

"I didn't see him because I kept my eyes closed," Faye said. "I was afraid he'll take me, too."

"Did Fiona know him?"

She nodded.

"Did she call him by any name?"

Faye was quiet for a moment as she scrambled for memory. "Eddie. She called him Eddie."

Margaret heard Cole curse under his breath.

"He told her she'll like it there and Fiona said she doesn't like David."

"David?"

"Yes. She's afraid of him. He locked her up before in the Manor, she said, but the man said it was only because David was trying to protect her."

Margaret twisted around to look at Cole. "Who is this David? Do you know?"

He shook his head. "She never mentioned the name before."

Faye started shaking as her tears flowed again. "I was a coward. I pretended to sleep. I didn't stop him."

"No," Margaret said. "You were afraid. If he took you, too, we wouldn't have a chance of finding her." Faye bit her trembling lips as her tearful eyes searched hers. "And did he say where he's taking her? Where this David is?"

"No, he's not taking her to David," Faye said, shaking her head. "He's taking her to a friend. They'll wait in a village, he said. And that he'll not take her to Thorne. That's what I heard, but I can't be sure. I don't know!"

Margaret jumped to her feet and faced Cole. "The Lord of Thorne. Who is he?"

She saw the realization wash his face before she even finished her question. "David Trilby. His uncle."

Margaret returned to Faye and kissed her forehead. "You did great, Faye. I'm proud of you. And you're safe now."

"But Fiona—"

"Fiona will be safe, too," she promised, looking at the twins. "Don't leave her side."

Emma blinked at her in alarm. "Maggie, you can't be thinking what I'm thinking!"

"Don't leave Faye alone. Stay with the servants." Turning on her heels, she said to Cole, "We have to go."

He stalked her in the corridor. "You're not going."

"I am," she stonily said. It must be the tone in her voice, or the way her eyes threw him a darting look that threw his objections out. "I'll meet you in the stables."

"What?"

"We'll have to ride on horseback. It's faster that way," she said before running up the stairs to her room.

Not a quarter of an hour later, she strode in the stables in a pair of breeches and a shirt.

"Is that a bloody pistol?" he asked, looking at her waist as she shrugged into a coat.