-35-

-Ella-

My mom had me do some dishes and start cutting vegetables and Johnson set the table. My mom was making some fancy fish that I've never heard of but it sounds good.

Me and my mom were catching up and I was happy for her. Her wedding was in a few months and I of course was her one of her brides maids.

We chatted till David finally came through the door with his daughter.

She had long black hair, bright blue eyes, and pale white skin. She was probably at my waist and skinny as a stick.

"Guys, this is my daughter, Jenna. She's 14 and is happy to see you all." David says cheerfully while Jenna stands behind him shyly.

"H-hi." She says shyly.

"Ah honey why don't you go wash your hands for dinner." Her father suggested and she nods before leaving quickly to the bathroom down the hall.

"Sorry, she has been herself for a while..." David scratched the back of his neck once she was out of sight.

"Oh what happened if you don't mind me asking." I say in a concern tone.

"Her Mom left us a few years ago and I told her she wasn't coming back a few months ago...she hasn't been the same. I'm really worried she's slipping into depression or something. I don't know what else to do. I'm trying to make her happy but I don't know what to do." He seemed stressful but I knew what to do...I was just in her spot to.

"I can talk with her. I can understand where she's coming from with this." I tried to reassure him. He looked up at me with a raised eyebrow.
"I mean you can, but just please be kind? She's just been through so much rough things." He sighs.
I nod my head.

"Well do that after dinner sweetie. The food is done." My mom started to place the food out onto the table.

"Oooo fooood!" Jack says with excitement once my mom places down the steak.
We seemed to be having steak, mash potatoes, and salad.

Soon Jenna appears back in kitchen and takes her seat across from me. Jack sat next to me, my mom sat on our right at the head of the table and David sat at the left of us at the head of the table.

My mom grabs my hand and David takes Jenna and jack's hand.
I looked at my mom with 'what the fucking is going on' face. All she does and gesture to jack's hand, telling me to hold it.

It then hit me, we were gonna pray. I wasn't a religious person but I wouldn't mind praying or whatever.
I grabbed jack's hand and I bowed my head down.

David starts the prayer and the smell of the food filled my nostrils.
It SMELLED SO DAMN GOOOOOD!!

"Let's eat." David day right after he finished but I barely paid attention because food was on my mind the whole time.
I was thinking of ways to murder the food, but I had to act proper.

"So how was your day honey?" David asks Jenna, who was poking at her food with an unsure expression.

"Fine." She simply says, but I knew deep down she wasn't. I've been there. I've said that. I've hid behind a face. I won't allow this.

"So, what did you do today?" I started the conversation back up.

"Nothing much..." she looked up at me with a icy stare, telling me to back off. Again, I know that look. She tried to hide her pain with anger. Thinking she could do this on her own, but I know she can't.

It's gets awfully quiet and the sound of the culturally hitting the glass plates is all that is heard for a few minutes.

My mom finally says something.