Chapter 31: Mom & Jonathan

Start from the beginning

"Seriously, I can't believe that man is my best friend..." His voice is up a little.

"And to think that he actually might stay at the house..." He murmured in his very low voice that I can't understand what he really said.

"Excuse me? What did you say? "

"He might stay with us..." He says looking at me deeply into my eyes.

My lips trembled in fear a little bit, but I calmed myself down since I'm not that kid anymore, I'm strong now.

"What?" Jon exclaimed.

"I said, he might..." Jace cleared himself.

"You and Clary, should start staying on the same room from now on. " Izzy says.

Mom looks at me with such curiosity.

"Oh wait, why aren't you guys staying in one room? And I completely forgot, you two have explaining to do... " Mom says.

"Explaining?" I questionably asks. But the truth was I know what exactly she's talking about.

"About the engagement? " Mom hinted...

I sigh and looked at Jace, Izzy and Simon. They gave me a curt nod telling me that it's right to tell mom about it, even though I know mom will freak out.

"Alright, before I tell you, please let me finish and please understand..." I tell her.

"Of course what's not to understand?"

"Just... "

"Alright alright. " She says.

"Anyways, you know how Imogen is the closest family that Jace have right? " I ask, she nodded.

"She's in poor health.." My mom gasped.

"Imogen wants Jace to get married before something might happen..." My mom's eyes widens, same as Jon who is now glaring at Jace. I groan, by the Angel this is harder than I thought.

I pulled Jace closer to me, so Jon would calm himself down. Izzy even put Sean down on Jace's lap.

"It's not that Jace gave me a contract to pretend, I was actually the one who insisted.. " I say.

"But why? You know how marriage is so dear to us..." Mom talks softly.

"Mom, I'm not a kid anymore. Besides it's not that I don't like Jace. I actually like him. And he loves me.. "

"Wait a second, you love her, but you like him?" Jon asks pointing to me then to Jace.

"Yes, it is exactly how I said it. Now, let me finish..." I glared at him.

"Mom, I'm okay with our arrangement.. In fact Jace is the one who isn't okay with this, because I know he loves me and I don't.. Well it's not that I'm not going to get there. But still... " I say and look to Jace.

He just smiles at me and I know he's not hurt with what I said.

"Do you understand where I'm coming from, Mom? Imogen is the closest grandmother that I have mom. And it's not that I pity her. I just want her to be happy. I want her to see Jace walk down the aisle like she always wanted..." I explained softly.

Mom sighs.

"I understand. And I know why are you like this, it's because he's a Herondale right?" Mom asks. My eyes widens in shock.

I didn't tell anyone about it, but I've been thinking a lot. Thinking why am I not giving Jace the chance that he really wanted? Why am I sticking to this situation, even though we're practically together, together. Why am I doubting?

I look at Jace with a guilty look.

"Is that true?" Jace asks softly.

My lips are trembling and I don't really know what to say.

"Hey, it's fine..." Jace tells me softly.

"I guess mom's right. I'm still in the process of healing Jace and the fact that you're a Herondale... " I say sadly.

"It's fine. You know sooner or later, you'll see it and feel it. I'm okay, Clary..." He says with a soft smile.

Oh thank the Angel, I thought to myself.

"Alright, now, about Sebastian.. " Mom interrupted us.

"Jace, you have to take care of Clary okay? You live in one house, so why don't you move in together in one room also?" Mom asks.

"I thought of that. But I also thought that Clary needs her own space. " He tells mom.

"Well, just sleep together in one room, is that okay?" Mom asks once again.

"Yes mom, that's alright. We'll work things out..."  I tell her.

"Alright. When do you plan getting married? "

"Probably next month. Because we are busy with yours... " I tell her.

"Ohhh, right!!!! The fitting will be tomorrow Clary. Don't be late. " She exclaimed.

We all burst into laughter, since I know Mom feels euphoric right now.

X