Chapter Fourty-Nine

A/N - So, with the end of this series approaching, it's only best that I have some huge incident happen at the school.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Since Eddie's death, Chloe had shut herself off from everyone apart from Max. She missed him so much. She knew it was her fault for stressing him out.

That morning, Chloe woke and saw Max sitting on the iPad. "Morning," Chloe mumbled. Charlotte had taken the kids away for a week with Michael.

"You alright?" Max asked as he put the iPad down and kissed Chloe. He let her cuddle into him. "I was thinking that we could go for dinner tonight."

Chloe nodded and cuddled deeper into him. "That would be amazing. I'd like that," Chloe said.

"Good."

***
Max and Chloe arrived at the school. "You're not teaching today. You can sit with me," Max said.

"Right."

Max sighed. "I know it's hard because that's where he died but I don't know what I can do. You're apart of the management team so you're needed there for management meetings," he told her.

"I was there when Simon killed himself. I was there when Eddie died. Why is it, I'm there when everyone who's been my father has died?" Chloe sobbed.

Max had no idea that was how Chloe felt. "Why didn't you tell me that then?" He asked.

"Why should I have? I've done enough to hurt you over the past years. You don't need my feelings on top of running the school and the kids," Chloe mumbled.

"You're my wife Chloe. I should bloody know how you're feeling!"Max yelled.

Chloe flinched when he yelled at her. "Don't yell. Please," Chloe sobbed. She hated being yelled at. Especially by Max.

"I'm sorry. Look, let's just forget this day and go home?" Max suggested.

Chloe shook her head. "No. It's fine. I wanna go teach," she said.

***
Chloe walked to her classroom. She walked past Eddie's and immediately felt the tears rolling down her face. "Come back daddy," she whispered.

While she was teaching, the class was quiet. They knew that Chloe was struggling and she was their favourite teacher. "Mrs Tyler, we're sorry about Mr Lawson. We all loved him," Sharni Taylor said.

Chloe smiled. "Thanks sweetie. He loved all you too," Chloe replied.  She loved how Eddie had an impact on the kids lives. He reached out and made them feel special.

***
Max saw Chloe teaching and smiled. He walked in. "How's it going?" He asked.

"Fine."

"Good."

Chloe smiled. "I just need a quick word with Mr Tyler but I'll be back. Carry on with this," Chloe said. She motioned for Max to follow her outside. "I was thinking that maybe we could do something for Eddie? Like a balloon release and a tribute?"

Max nodded and smiled. "I'll arrange something. Lessons are cancelled today. I'll call an assembly," he said.

***
Everyone was in assembly. Max got up on the stage. "As you know we lost Mr Lawson a few weeks ago. Some of you haven't gotten over that as he was a mentor to you. Others need closure. So today, instead of lessons, you're going to include something of Mr Lawson in the tribute. There will be a balloon release this afternoon curtesy of Mrs Tyler. Any one taking the mick will be excluded for the day," Max said.

The pupils were dismissed. Chloe walked over to Max and kissed him. "Thank you. For being amazing."

"It's all apart of my job," Max replied. He and Chloe kissed again. "I do love you, you know. Even if I don't always show it," he said as he put a strand of her hair behind her ear.

"I know. But damn it's good when we have makeup sex," Chloe said.

"That's me. Good at giving my wife what she wants and needs," Max whispered.

***
Chloe had told Charlotte about the memorial. She was coming back with all the kids.

She and Max were walking through the school. "I think this is the first time I've ever seen these kids so involved in something that you've told them," Chloe joked.

"I agree. But you're always involved in something that I want to do," Max said.

***
Chloe was standing in Eddie's classroom. "I'm going to make you proud. I promise daddy. I'm sorry I wasn't always perfect but you always stood by me."

"He would be proud of you Chloe."

Chloe turned to see Charlotte. "How are my babies?" Chloe asked.

"They're okay. They're with Michael in the staff room," Charlotte told her.  She walked over to Chloe and pulled her into a hug. "He would be so proud of you and how far you've come."

Chloe broke down crying. "I-I miss him so much," she sobbed. She cuddled into Charlotte. "I want him back."

"Shh we all do chick. But it does get better. You've still got Michael haven't you? He wants to be your dad," Charlotte said.

***
Eventually it was time for the memorial. Max had managed to get 600 balloons. He didn't care about the price. He wanted Chloe to be happy. Chloe walked outside with Charlotte and Aubree.

"We all lost Mr Lawson. Some of us have dealt with it and accepted that he's gone to a better place. Others haven't and still think he'll be here tomorrow. I know I do. He wasn't my real father but he was there for me when no one else was. It's no secret I suffer with Mental Health issues. I'm proud to admit that. Mr Lawson - Eddie helped me through that," Chloe said.

Charlotte and Steph began handing out balloons to everyone. Chloe continued. "I know that most of you have been working on a tribute for him. I don't know much about this but I'm told he loved the musical Park Side Story? And the last song performed? Well, to Mr Edward Lawson this is for you. May you rest in paradise."

***
After the performance, Chloe performed Nightingale. Soon, it was time for the balloon release. Max handed Chloe a balloon. "You were amazing."

"Thanks. I was tearing up though."

Max kissed her passionately. Chloe looked at the pupils. "On the count of three, let your balloon off," Chloe said. "One...Two...Three."

All balloons were released. Chloe smiled. "Bye bye Daddy."

***
Max took Chloe and the kids home. Aubree was going to watch her siblings while Max took Chloe to dinner. "Bee, order pizzas for the kids and get them in bed for 8pm. Keep Poppy down here with you till we get back or put her in her cot and sleep in our bed," Chloe told her.

"Until we get back that is," Max said.

"If it's all the same, I'd rather not sleep in or on your bed. Too much bodily fluids," Aubree retaliated.

***
A few hours later, Chloe and Max returned. The house was in silence. "Bee has done an amazing job," Chloe said as she walked to the kitchen. She frowned when she saw the mess. "Max!"

Max ran in. "She'll clean this tomorrow. But for now, let's go to bed," Max said.

"Couldn't agree more."

Max and Chloe both went to bed. They knew they had a lot to do to make their marriage work but they were going to do it. No matter what it took.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
A/N - There's in total, six chapters left. Then we move onto the Aubree series.

If there's any ideas you have for the remaining chapters, then don't be afraid to let me know. I love everyone's ideas.

Stay Strong 💖💘💞