Chapter Thirty-five: Recovery

Melissa's POV

Before I could even process my surroundings, Malcolm threw his arms around me and pulled my limp body into his chest. I felt extremely sore and tired all over.

"Ow." I grimaced in pain, my body aching and throbbing.

"Careful!" I heard Keegan exclaim.

"Oh sorry!" Malcolm loosened his grip and laid me back down gently. "Are you okay?"

I nodded, snuggling back into the sheets. "Why did you have to scare me like that?" I could literally hear the relief escape him as he released a deep breath and stared at me attentively. "I fucking cried, cried Lissa!"

He paused shaking his head. "Whatever, I'm just glad that you're okay." He trailed his fingers down my face with a smile then attacked my cheek, smothering it with kisses in happiness.

I giggled distractedly, still in the midst of examining the room. Yuck, I hate hospitals.

Oh god, how long have I been here?

I was feeling a combination of wonderment and confusion, like when you were a little kid and remember falling asleep on the couch but magically woke up tucked in bed. Yep, that was me right now.

"Dude, get off my girlfriend." Keegan deadpanned and Malcolm pulled away, grinning. "Go tell the others that she's awake."

Malcolm gave Keegan a flat look then smiled back at me. "I've got something for you in my car."

"Okay." I smiled amused and he walked out the room.

I turned my attention to Keegan, he was shaking his head and approached the bed. "Were you trying to kill me? Do you know how hard it would've been for me if something happened to you?" He paused and cupped my face affectionately.

"You should've just left me, I could have taken it." He stared deeply into my eyes, brushing my hair behind my ear.

I smiled weakly, touched by his words and rubbed his arm. "I love you and I'd do anything for you. You know that."

He opened his mouth to say something but the door burst open before he had time to respond. "MELISSA!" A high pitched voice screeched and it didn't take a genius to know who's voice it belonged to.

Oh, how I've missed her...

"YOU'RE A FUCKING BITCH!" So much for a welcoming greeting. Melanie wrapped her arms around me, and buried her head into my chest, startling me a little. I winced. It was painful but it was worth it. She began sniffling and it took me a moment for me to realise that she was crying.

"Oh Ne..." I frowned, feeling my eyes water as I tried to lift her head up with my arm that was least sore.

Her mascara-smudged, red eyes met with mine and were no doubt filled with tears. "I-I was so scared that I lost you!" Melanie cried out uncontrollably, making me cry.

I hated that I put her in this position.

Joe approached her from behind and helped her off me despite her unwillingness. By the expression on his face, I knew it was hard for him to see her like this as well. "Come on baby. She's okay now. I know you don't mean to but your weight is hurting her." He hushed gently and guided her away from the bed.

"Oh honey!" Mum walked into the room with Corey behind her. "How are you feeling baby?" Suddenly she paused with a worried expression. "Wait, does she remember us?"

Keegan's familiar chuckle filled my ears. "Yes, Mum." I rolled my eyes and signaled for her to hug me. Did they think I was that knocked up? "But who's that guy behind you?"