XXVII. Nightmares

Start from the beginning

"Because she is a child, Meg."

"Yes, I understand that. But why go to great lengths to protect her?"

"He has his reasons." His gaze seemed distant as he considered his thoughts. "We do not choose the family we are born into, Meg. For some of us like Edmund Trilby, we learn to tolerate things in our families." When his eyes locked with hers, they were clear, almost angry. "Until we realize we have limitations."

"Do you trust him?"

"I do."

"Truly? Or do you just want progress on your case?" When he just sighed, she added, "It could be a ruse to frame you further. He is, after all, his father's son."

"You might be right," he said, "Which is why I keep records of all our correspondence."

Margaret nodded, biting her lips. "I'm sorry. I'm merely concerned."

"You need not. I know what I'm doing. I'm being thoroughly careful."

Not enough, she thought. Because you just invited me to extend my stay. And you shouldn't have.

***

Margaret stared at the black-haired girl before her. Her deep blue eyes looking at her with utter curiosity.

"Hello," Margaret said with a smile.

Fiona seemed lost as she turned her head to look at Cole. He gave the child a nod. Encouraged, Fiona waved at her shyly.

For a moment, Margaret thought that the child reminded her of someone but she could not point out who. "I see Lord Ashmore has finally allowed us both to meet," she brightly said.

The child nodded, biting off a smile. And then, without warning, Fiona asked, "Are you also friends with Edmund?"

"I know of him," she said, "But I cannot honestly say we are friends."

"We play games together."

"Would you like to play then?" When Fiona just blinked at her with reservation, she chuckled. "I assure you, dear, that I know how to play." She bent on her knees and added, "I have many siblings and we all played a lot."

Fiona's eyes turned bright and a small smile curled at the corner of her lips. "Hide and seek?"

"I'm a master at it," she said. "What say you to a game of hide and seek this afternoon while Lord Ashmore bores himself in his study?"

Fiona's face revealed a true beauty as she finally broke into a smile and nodded. Then, she stopped, looking over her shoulder at Cole.

"You do not have to ask for my permission every single time, Fiona," he gently said.

"That's settled then." Margaret straightened and held out her hand to the child. "Now, we have a ton to talk about the many strategies of hide and seek."

With an excited giggle, Fiona eagerly took her hand and never ceased talking until it was time for the game.

That afternoon, Margaret tired herself in the garden playing with a three-year-old, even went on a slight panic when she could not find the girl. The gardener later found her behind the bushes sleeping.

When evening came and the lights outside the Ashmore estate dimmed, Cole visited her bedchamber.

Their lovemaking was slow and gentle, almost reverent. But the passion was just the same. They explored it with delicious and agonizing patience. While whispered words of desire echoed in the room, there was no talk of the future. Or of what would happen next.