115 The end of an era

"Are you still there?" asked the sheriff.

The oni must have misheard. "... That's impossible."

"We suspect that it's Yoshiro Takagi. Curiously, we have surprisingly little documentation on him in our database."

Haruka shook her head in disbelief. "You must be mistaken."

"That's why I'm calling you. As far as I know, the both of you were close friends. I need you to identify the body," he explained.

She threw her blanked to the side and turned so that she was sitting on her bed. "I'll be right there."

"He's in our morgue. I will personally wait for you at the entrance."

"I need fifteen minutes."

"Okay. See you later, Narusegawa-sama."

"Yes."

She hung up. Yoshiro Takagi's body? That was impossible. Why would he fake his death? And even if, why should he not tell her and Shinji? They used to do these kind of things together until now. For each oni in their community. Did he intend to leave with the girl? He had always been a sentimental fool. It would suit him.

Annoyed, she dialed his number. While the connection was established, she got out of her bed.

"Come on. Pick up."

"The desired mobile subscriber is not available. Please leave ..."

She hung up and dialed once more. Again came the voice mail. "What the hell are you doing?" she hissed at her phone. She got dressed and went on to the police station.

The police chief and two officers awaited her in front of the entrance of the police building. Police chief Watanabe seemed too young for a man with his post. Both officers to his sides were obviously older than him. Either he was a very ambitious high-flier, or someone who enjoyed the favor of someone powerful.

"Good day, Narusegawa-sama," he and his men greeted her humbly bowing.

Haruka nodded to them. "Police chief Watanabe. Gentlemen. Where is he?"

"Please follow us."

They led their boss through the corridors of the building. Haruka was quite nervous. On her way here her mind was racing and countless thoughts manifested, but nothing could prepare her for the upcoming minutes. They entered the morgue.

"Guard the access!" Police chief Watanabe told his men.

"Yes, sir." The officers took a stand in front of the door.

"Come." He led Haruka inside.

A pathologist and his assistant were waiting. "Good morning, Madam Mayor," welcomed the two Haruka with a deep bow.

Again nodded the oni in greeting. "Good day. Show him to me."

"Of course."

The assistant led the small group to a dissecting table, which was covered with a shroud. She carefully folded back the cloth to expose the face and shoulders.

Relieved, Haruka breathed out. "That's not him."

"Are you sure? Look at him more closely," recommended the pathologist.