30 Potential

When Yuna woke up everything hurt. At least that's what she was expecting. She rolled her futon and stuffed it back into the closet. For a short moment she thought about whether she should take a bath or not, but decided against it. The girl slipped into her clothes. She picked the same as the day before. Equipped with her sunglasses and her key, she opened her room door. At the doorway stuck a Post-It. Yuna read it shortly. "Thanks for your help – Ayumi"

"You're welcome.", the blue-haired whispered to herself and continued her way. Apparently, she was the first who was awake. While she put on her shoes, she heard footsteps on top of the stairs. The girl looked over her shoulder upwards and saw a middle-aged man, who came briskly down the stairs.

"Good morning.", she greeted him.

"Good morning." He sat down beside her to put on his shoes.

"I'm the new lodger. My name is Yuna."

"I'm Tomi Nakamura. Have a nice day, Yuna-chan." He got up and moved quickly out of the door.

"Weirdo."

Yuna didn't want to wait for the tram. Even walking was too slow for her, so she jogged to Yoshiro's hideout.

When she entered the storehouse, Yoshiro lay on the couch, asleep. The girl put a pot of water on the camping stove, which her mentor had standing around for this purpose.

While she waited for the water to boil, she looked around the warehouse some more. In one corner stood a makeshift office with a desk and a chair. In her previous inspections, she hadn't paid much detailed attention to the office, but now she wanted to change that. The high school student went over and took a look at the loose documents on the tabletop. There were some newspaper clippings, which were amended with handwritten notes.

"Sewer worker missing." Yuna took the stack in her hands and went through the various pieces of paper. "Possible connection?"

There were several articles about missing person cases. She noticed a map on the table. The articles were numbered and the numbers drawn on the map. She searched for the numbers of the notes in her hands on the map. They were arranged in a circle and Yoshiro had already highlighted an area with the comment "Hiding place".

"This is how he finds the Oni. I had imagined it to be more mystical."

Yuna scanned the map and found more of these markings. Some were crossed out, or had been ticked. Her mentor seemed to do this Oni hunting thing very systematically.

The whistling of the pot drew her attention. The blue-haired put the notes back on the table, so that she could take care of the boiling water.

Meanwhile, Yoshiro had woken up and sat up on the sofa.

"Morning, uncle."

"Hey." He ran his fingers through his tousled hair, to bring some order to the chaos on top of his head.

"I'm making tea for you."

"Okay."

Yuna poured hot water into a cup, then she put in a tea bag and brought it to her mentor. She held out the cup. Yoshiro reached for it, but instantly twitched back when he burned his hand on it.