89 Programming

A shrill sound reached Yuna's consciousness. She pulled her blanket over her head, but the noise was hardly dampened by that.

"WTF?" She groped the ground around her place to sleep, but couldn't find the source. Sleepy she blinked a few times, then she remembered the phone on the table, which made the pesky noise. She couldn't help but grin. "Ha. I know myself too well."

She crawled across the floor and grabbed the device, then she turned off the alarm. The blue-haired remembered that she had set up her cell phone's alarm clock before going to bed, so that she could get used to a daytime rhythm. At some point, she had to go back to school, so she doesn't have to repeat the school year; probably.

Longing she looked back at her futon. What would speak against five more minutes of sleep? She put the phone down, crawled back to her futon and lay down again.

The girl woke up once more. She sat up and stretched, yawning. That was much better. She squatted on her heels, rolled up the futon and then stowed it in the closet. She took her phone and checked the display. Damn. It was shortly before noon. She had overslept for more than four hours. Fortunately this was not an emergency. How had she done this earlier?

She remembered how Yui or their mother had driven her out of bed. Oh yes, Yuna had only gotten up, if she wanted to buy a new manga issue, or she had an appointment with her friend.

"Now, I have to start taking responsibility.", she wailed.

The girl stepped into the hallway and looked around. All other doors were closed. Nakamura-san and Wataru were surely at work. Ayumi was probably still asleep.

Yuna went to the toilet, then she made herself a cup of tea in the kitchen. She raided the refrigerator, but found nothing appealing to eat. Hm ... so far she had never purchased anything. Whose food did she pilfer actually?

The blue-haired sat down at the table with her cup of tea, wondering what she should do with the half-passed day. Lost in thought she sipped the drink. Immediately, she flinched when she scalded her lips on the hot cup.

"When will I get used to that at last?" She put the cup down and looked at it thoughtfully. How could she use her power?

She dipped her fingertip in the tea, but drew her aching hand immediately back. "Somehow it has to work." She took a deep breath, then she dipped her finger once more into it. She gritted her teeth to endure the pain better. Her brain was screaming in agony. "Come on. Activate yourself." Yuna gave up and pulled out her finger. It was red and throbbing from pain. "Ouch."

She went to the sink and let cold water flow over her finger. "Typical. First, I curse my power and now I miss it. I'm such an idiot."

The huntress looked around the kitchen. She discovered a knife block. She grabbed the handle of the largest knife and pulled it out. She looked at her left palm.

"Be tough. Be tough. Be tough. Be tough." She scratched at her palm, which began to bleed. "Fucking great. Be tough, come on." She focused all her concentration on her left hand and cut herself again. Another, bleeding scratch graced her palm.

Frustrated, she threw the knife into the sink. "Now I really am an ordinary girl again. I can't fight Tirr like this."