26 Enemy analysis

"Your companion? What does that mean?"

He sighed. "She was an Oni too and we have lived together."

"So, she was your girlfriend? Or your wife?"

"Something like that, yeah. We were together for almost a century before Tirr had killed her."

"Why did he do that?"

"Because he is an Oni of the worst kind. He kills out of boredom, or because he just feels like it. He only cares about becoming stronger. My companion joined a group that tried to stop him."

"What happened?"

The Oni ran thoughtfully through his hair. He looked at his pupil. "He killed all of them."

"Why didn't he kill you?"

"Because I was not part of them."

Yuna frowned. "I don't get it."

"Back then, I was a pacifist. When I had killed the last beast and became humanoid, I decided to stop killing."

"Just so?"

"Just so. Every one of us can stop, if he wants to."

"Does that mean there are Oni who don't attack humans?!"

"Of course. Actually most of them are peaceful, these days."

Yuna thought of the nurse, Daiki Itō, whom she had destroyed. Perhaps she had killed an innocent man. "Am I a murderer?"

"Don't worry about that."

"I should feel bad about it, shouldn't I?"

"I don't know."

The girl studied her mentor. It appeared, he didn't care. And she didn't feel anything. "So, you started hunting after the death of your girlfriend?", asked the blue-haired.

"Yes. I wanted to avenge her, but to this day I did not succeed."

"Why not?"

"Tirr is way too strong."

"Can't you just shoot him?"

"He's too fast. He can dodge bullets. He has gathered so much energy, that his reflexes are at an inconceivable level."

"But you can hurt him, right? Father had him impaled on his sword."

"Then he was not prepared for it. If Tirr is in combat, he's almost invulnerable."

"Like me?"

"No. He's actually only very strong, but if his muscles are tense, they become like an armor for him."

"How do you beat someone like that?"

"I've tried to assassinate him, but he noticed me every time before I had a chance so strike. The best way probably would be, to let him have his way until he is forced to return to the world of the Oni."

"But then the souls in his possession are lost!"

Yoshiro nodded thoughtfully. He put the gun back on the table.

"That's not an option. What can we do?"

"I have an idea, but I'm still working on the details."

"Tell me." The high school student looked at him demanding.

"If someone could fight him long enough, it could be that he will become careless, or that his powers would start to fade. Then that someone could eventually kill him."