Chapter one

Tris POV
Today is the choosing ceremony. Well for Zeke anyways. I hope he doesn't leave me and Uriah. He needs to stay dauntless. I know that he has a small chance for Candor, but it's higher for Dauntless, just because he is so brave.

We jump off the train to building where they hold the ceremony. We walk in, me and Uri, stand next to each other, laughing at how many people we are hopefully gaining this year. We hope that we will get some new initiates, but who knows. The years that come by, people seem to get weaker and weaker, so the fighting generation is getting much smaller.

We sit down and listen, listen to Marcus Eaton announce the speech for "faction before blood" and then start calling people up. After a while I zone out, until I hear a name that sounds familiar. Tobias Eaton. He is Marcus' son.

He takes the knife, cuts his hand, and holds it over the Abnegation bowl. "Ugh I wish he would come to Dauntless" I think. Just when I finish that thought, he moves his hand over the hot coals, showing that he is going to be in Dauntless.

The blood sizzles, and Marcus looks angry. He is Abnegation, so he hides his feelings because it's an "inconvenience" and they're just not supposed to. He calls another name. Aeries Eaton. Must be Tobias' little sister or something. Maybe they're twins. Who knows. Hopefully them.

The girl slices her hand, and does the same thing as the new Stiff, puts her hand over the Abnegation bowl, then to the Dauntless bowl.

After awhile it gets boring, I just stare at the new Stiffs, and wonder. Why did they leave Abnegation? All I know is I'm happy they did. The guy is pretty cute.

When I hear Zekes name be called, I get all happy, and so does Uri. We just start screaming like the Dauntless born we are.

"ZEKEY WE LOVE YOU!" we both say in unison. Zeke turns bright red, and walks down to the bowls, slices his hand, puts it straight over the hot coals, and squeezes his hand. Dauntless.

I zone out for the rest of the ceremony, until Uri shakes me screaming "DON'T YOU DIE ON ME" I laugh and get up. It's always something we do when the other falls asleep.

We leave, and start running to climb the pillars, and then get on the train. The male Stiff has a little trouble getting on the train, so I grab his hand when he tries to enter, so he can get up. He helps the girl Stiff hes with, up and we just sit there until its time to jump.

Tobias POV

When we get done with the ceremony, we have to climb the pillars to the tracks, and jump onto the train. I have trouble getting on, so this girl, Pedrad I think her last name is, grabs my hand and hoists me up. I grab Aeries hand to help her get on.

"Thanks twin." I hear from her. She is my twin sister, but we don't look as alike as the Pedrad twins. At least I think the twins are Ezekiel and Uriah.

I stare at the Pedrad girl until I hear a sentence from her I didn't want to hear.

"Time to jump" I look at her confused. She points outside of the car for me to see. I see Dauntless people jumping off the train onto the building. I see the Pedrad girl grab Uriah's hand and jump. Then goes Ezekiel and then some other people, along with Aeries. I go to the back of the car and start running, then I jump.

I hit the roof and see all of the other people starting to go to the ledge. I follow with Aeries on my heals.

The dauntless trainer names Amar, starts talking, then says "Who is going to jump first?"

Me and the Pedrad girls hands go up.

"Lets jump together." I hear her say.

"But are you even old enough to jump?" I ask, while she starts walking over to the ledge.

"Well." She says, standing on the ledge facing the tracks, looking at me. "If you want to be that way." She falls backwards, while everybody else starts running that way.

Then we see Uriah, running towards the ledge, diving over it, and flying through the air, until he hits the bottom.

Uriah POV

I hate being short, or at least separated from my twin.

"Who is going to jump first?" I hear Amar say.

Me and Tris aren't together so you can't see that I am holding my hand up. I see Tris' hand go up along with the Stiff, the male one.

"Lets jump together" Tris says. Pure Dauntless.

"But are you even old enough to jump?" He replies back. Of course shes not old enough, but she's a Pedrad. She can jump if she wants to.

I know Tris' little tricks. She is going to get back at him, so I know this one she about to do. She starts walking towards the ledge, I want to stop her, so we can jump together, but that wont happen.
"Well" she says, while standing on the ledge. She is gonna go backwards, just to scare him. "If you want to be that way." and she falls back.

Everybody is starting to crowd the ledge, so I start bolting towards it, diving over the ledge, going a few front tucks in the air, then hitting the net.