May 1554

Whitehall

"Although she is not solely cleared. We have thought it right for our sister, the Lady Elizabeth to remain at our manor of Woodstock, until such time as matters touching her case, currently unclear, may be readily tried and examined. Despite her continued protestations of innocence, I can hardly be brought to think these traitors would have presumed to act as they did without having more knowledge of her favour towards their conspiracy than what she has yet to confess to. It is my hope that in surrendering her person into the care of a guardian, her conscience will move her to admit to her crimes, and thus begin to atone for her crimes. Therefore I must you, my loyal councillors, who amongst you will be willing to oversee her care?"

Not a soul moves. The Privy Council chamber is deadly silent. Of course, it is to be expected. Elizabeth's wily behaviour whilst in custody is well known to all of my councillors. Her chief interrogator, Gardiner has openly denounced her feigned protestations of innocence and manipulative nature. I cannot imagine this is a duty men would fight for.

"My Lords, this is an onerous duty that we ask of you. However, it is one of vital importance that must be made. Our sister is charged with the most heinous of crimes: treason, and conspiring with heretics.

A seat scrapes upon the wooden floor and the diminutive portly figure of Sir Henry Bedingfield rises to his feet. "Your Majesty, in the interests of justice, and as demonstration of my loyalty to Your Grace, I volunteer myself for this duty."

Only I can see the irony of the son of my mother's gaoler, volunteering to warden the progeny of the woman who forced such wretchedness upon her. Yet he is the only one willing to undertake the responsibility of caring for my troublesome sister so his offer is accepted.

"We are grateful to you, Sir Henry. The Lady Elizabeth is to be safely looked after for the safeguard of her person. Having nevertheless, regard for her in such good an honourable sort as may be agreeable to our honour, and to her estate and degree. I would urge you to take heed of our sister's behaviour. She is not to converse with any person out of your hearing. Nor receive or send any message, letter or token to or from any manner of person. Conspiracies after all, maybe secretly practised and such things judged many times by probable conjectures and other suspicions and arguments, where the plain direct proof may chance to fail."

"I will do my duty to the pleasure of God, and Your Majesty," Bedingfield says with a stiff bow.

"You may visit our sister in her lodgings at the Tower and inform her of the decision of the council. She will be released into your charge as soon as the necessary preparations are completed.

It takes nearly two weeks for the arrangements for Elizabeth's transfer of custody to Sir Henry Bedingfield to be completed. During which time, she bombards me with daily letters. Protesting that since her insistence of her innocence is not believed, she begs to either be put on trial with the charges as they stand, for a personal interview with me to put her case. Or a delegation of the council to be sent to her at Woodstock.

At first, I do not reply, hoping that she will cease to harass me in this way. Only on the tenth day do I buckle and reluctantly reply. Writing only that I am sorry to of had any occasion to be suspicious, but the facts cannot be denied. Her letters had been found in the bag of the French ambassador, and it was her succession the rebels fought for. I do not fail to point out that she has had more clemency and favour from me than was usual in cases of suspected treason, urging her to compose herself to behave properly towards God, which will, in turn, improve her behaviour towards me.

Bedingfield writes also. He reports that Elizabeth, at the beginning of her captivity was biddable; but has become increasingly more rebellious and demanding in nature as her captivity at Woodstock goes on. Insisting her tutor be engaged to continue her education, and whilst she is happy to attend mass, prefers to have part of the service said in English.

This is an intolerable lax in his duty. There is but one language mass should be heard in. Latin and no other. To demand otherwise signifies that Elizabeth still holds fast to the Lutheran faith. Which does little to lift the suspicion of treason and heresy that still hang over her. I am quick to write back to Bedingfield at once, in my own hand. Demanding that he not allow himself to be dictated to by her. She is not a free woman living under the care of a guardian. But a criminal, accused of one of the worst crimes in the land. She is in his charge, his custody. He has a duty to ensure that all heretical practices are kept away from her.

I receive petitions from her friends amongst the nobles and from the council, who urge me to release her due to lack of corroborating evidence. I am daily inundated with letters from her supporters, pleading for her liberty. The only person not writing to me is Prince Phillip.

I had hoped to have word from him as soon as the betrothal ceremony was concluded, but I have heard nothing from him, save for the brief and formal note he wrote to me last November, saying he was pleased I had accepted his suit.

I try to elicit some word from him through Renard. Instructing him to include in his next report that I commend my affection for him and that I would have liked to have written to him in my own hand. But as I have not yet received any letters from his highness, feel it is not seemly for such correspondence to be begun by a woman.

By the second week of May with still no word from him, I send a fleet of ships out to the Western Approaches to scout to see if there is any sign of the Royal Spanish fleet heading for Southampton's docks, just in case the announcement of the Prince's arrival has encountered difficulties. However, these too return with no news. All I can do, with no further information to ease my angst is to take charge of the details of His Highness's English household.

The Earl of Arundel, my ally who warned me of danger, is rewarded with the premier position of Lord Steward of Prince Phillips household of three hundred and fifty people. I also have a garter insignia prepared for him, which will be presented to him by the Earl upon his arrival. All that is wanting now is for His Highness's arrival, and my ships continue to patrol the channel in readiness to escort him Southampton.

Finally, in the middle of June, the prince's envoy, the Marquess de La Nevas arrives at Whitehall to confirm that His Highness has at last set sail for Southampton, in a fleet of 125 ships comprising of nine thousand noblemen, and three million in gold.

The Marquess presents me with beautiful gifts from the Prince. A necklace of eighteen flawless diamonds. A beautiful table diamond in a rose petal setting and a breathtaking pearl, which he writes once belonged to his mother. I will treasure it for that affinity alone. I barely have any mementoes of my own mother, save for her rosary and the two bracelets Queen Katherine gave to me at Hampton Court in her first few days as Queen. Though it does seem a little peculiar to the receive the jewels that were once the Emperess Isabellas, since I was originally to be the Emperor's wife before he married her.

In my happiness, even my frosty feelings towards Elizabeth thaw when I hear she has been unwell at Woodstock, and grant her the permission she has been seeking to write to me directly.

However, the moment I read her letter, I regret my clemency. She protests against the treatment she has received, insisting she has done nothing to deserve it, and in a most haughty and rude manner. I throw the offending letter into the fire and instruct the council that she is to no longer write me directly. Insisting she should use Bedingfield and the council as intermediaries to communicate any requests she might have.

I refuse to allow her to spoil the celebrations and mar the exultation I feel as I prepare my wedding trousseau. Nothing now can hurt me now, nothing at all. Prince Philip is on his way. Soon the kingdoms of England and Spain will be united once again as they were during the time of my mother and father. With the Princes help, this kingdom will soon be rid of the heresies that have infested it, and true religion will flower once again in England.