Chapter 41

Kenninghall

Within hours of my letter of Ascension being dispatched to London, the first of the gentry begin to arrive at Kenninghall. I am gratified by the speed with which they arrive. It gives me cause to hope that God may yet grant me victory over Northumberland.

The first to arrive is Sir Henry Bedingfield, whose Norfolk estates lie east of mine. He is the son of the man who was my mother's gaoler during her exile. I can see the shame of this past duty in his apprehensive look as he approaches me on my makeshift dais in the great hall at Kenninghall.

He thinks I will turn him away. That I will chide him for his father's actions. However, I must set aside my resentfulness to those who have done my mother and I such injustices. I am now Queen. It is the duty of a Queen and every Christian to bestow mercy and forgiveness on those who have done them wrong. There will, of course, be some whose actions are beyond reproach. But not this man. My mother's letters never once mentioned ill-treatment or disrespect at the hands of Sir Henry's father, so I can only conclude that his duties were carried out with a degree of respect to her rightful station. Sir Henry need have nothing to fear from me. I will not be vengeful. Indeed, I have every reason now to be grateful, since he is the first of my people to arrive to support me, bringing with him a substantial quantity of men at arms. He and Arundel, I will make sure I single out for particular honours.

I will not say the same for that heretic Cranmer. His vile teachings have allowed this country to be swallowed into a cesspit of heresy. The old England is not to be recognised. Alters are gone. Crucifixes are melted down. The beautiful abbeys that belonged to God's representatives on earth become little more than trophy houses for the rich nobles to boast of their wealth and power. I weep at the destruction Cranmer and his vile reformists have bought on this land, and I will not rest until England is as she once was, faithful, free from the diseases of heresy.

"Your Majesty," Sir Henry falls to his knees. "I come to offer you my men and arms for the defence of your crown. My sword is Your Majesty's to command."

"We give you thanks for your loyalty, Sir Henry. The house of Bedingfield has always served the crown loyally, if not a little misguidedly."

He knows what my gentle hint is referring to. "My father did his duty, Your Majesty, as his king commanded. Yet his conscience was never at perfect peace with his commission. For my part, I am only sorry that such a duty fell on his shoulders."

"We are aware that your father handled our late mother's care quite respectfully, Sir Henry," I am quick to assure him, fearing I have seemed too harsh when I meant to be otherwise. "We hold no grudges against the house of Bedingfield for the injustices done to Her Majesty. For your loyalty, and speedy aid to our cause, we are most grateful to you. Be assured that when our enemies are overthrown, it will not be forgotten."

Within days, my numbers have grown dramatically. Men rally to my banner like bees to a flower and it is not only the men from Anglia that come. Men from Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire, and Bedfordshire are flocking to my aid. Powerful, marshalled men, all bringing with them men at arms. God willing, I will soon have an army big enough to face Northumberland's.
I dispatch a letter to the Emperor's ambassadors, imploring them to provide whatever support they can. Destruction is hanging over my head. The battle for my crown is only just beginning.

My cause is boosted greatly with the arrivals of Sir Richard Southwell, the wealthiest knight in Norfolk and the Earl of Sussex, the first peer amongst the gentry of my forces.
Kenninghall is soon surrounded by the men at arms that they have brought. Indeed the number of men is now of such a number, that Kenninghall is too small a base to be encamped, and so I order we march south to Framlingham Castle. Another property of mine, formerly belonging to the Howard's, Framlingham is a mighty Fortress with a forty feet long by eight curtain wall and thirteen mural towers to defend the centre of the castle. Its fortifications are far superior to Kenninghall and considerably larger in size and will serve as an ideal base for an army that is nearly fifteen thousand strong.