February 1542

Eltham

My reasons for communicating with Your Grace so soon after having departed from your most generous hospitality these two weeks past, is to inform you that yesterday morning, the thirteenth of February, Kathryn Howard was executed within the precincts of the Tower by bill of attainder.
My Lord husband, who witnessed her end, informs me that she made a small and quiet speech about her worthy and just punishment, and asked forgiveness for her many sins.
Lady Rochford followed her former mistress in death only moments later, having recovered her wits well enough to also make a good end.
Ambassador Chapys honoured us by dining with us last night. He hastened to add that His Majesty has wonderfully felt the case of his wife and has certainly shown greater sorrow and regret at the loss of her than of his previous consorts.
His Majesty has sought solace in his own company, neither wishing nor caring to partake of the pastimes he used to so enjoy.
With hopes that this letter finds Your Grace and the Prince's highness in the most excellent health. As when I had the pleasure of visiting you, and kind remembrances unto yourselves

From the Kings Palace at Whitehall,
Your Graces most affectionate gossip and loyal friend.
Anne, Countess of Hertford.

I did not expect to feel so sad in learning of the death of my former stepmother. She behaved very wickedly and betrayed His Majesty with his own servant. Yet there is still something very tragic about a girl dying before reaching the age of seventeen.

With the loss of another mother figure in their lives, I take it upon myself to fill that role for Edward and Elizabeth. Just as I did after Queen Jane died. Edward is of course much too young to understand what adultery and death really mean. So I explain to him very gently that he will not see Queen Kathryn again because she has behaved very badly, greatly hurt and upset our father. He takes it very well, but I am dreading having to tell Elizabeth. I have made up my mind to tell her the whole truth. She cannot be spared from learning that such actions have serious consequences. Given the crimes for which her mother lost her head, I feel I would be failing in duty as her sister if I did not point out the perils of leading such an unvirtuous life.

She comes running out to greet me as I ride up the pathway at Hatfield. I take her in my arms as soon as I dismount for I have missed my sister so very much. I have not seen her since before I went on progress to the North and can scarce believe the change in her. She is growing so tall. She will have our father height. Glossy red hair shines underneath her green silk hood cut in the French style.

She is a whirl of excitement. Admiring my new horse and clothes. Full of questions about our father and why he does not summon her to court more often.

"Come and sit down with me," I say sitting down on the settle in her chamber. "I have some news for you. It is not pleasant. However, you are old enough now to know the difference between right and wrong, and I do not believe that the truth should be hidden from you. Our father has not summoned you to court as Queen Kathryn is not there to be a companion for you."

"Where is she?"

"The Queen behaved very badly, Elizabeth. She betrayed our father in the worst possible way. She was unfaithful to the vows she took when she married him. Such crimes cannot be pardoned, particularly when that crime is committed by a Queen and the only punishment is death."

Unblinking, Elizabeth's dark eyes fix on me. "She is dead?"

Stroking her cheek, I confirm it."Yes, child. She is dead. It is the only punishment for such a crime."

She turns her face from me. I cannot recall even seeing Elizabeth cry, even as a small child, she would be inclined to temper tantrums rather than tears.

"You must pray for her Elizabeth." I say gently."Pray our Lord forgives her for her crimes."

"Are her crimes the same as those of my mother?" She asks suddenly.

Good heavens, what a question. In truth, I do not know how to tactfully answer this. I have always dreaded the day that Elizabeth asked about her mother. How can I tell this sweet child that her mother was one of the greatest sinners this country, indeed the world has ever known? Her evil is unparalleled. It is not something a girl of eleven years old should hear about her mother. Much less that she is burning in the fires of hell.

"Yes, " I eventually answer apprehensively. I think about saying that her crimes are far more extensive, but think better of it. In time, Elizabeth must be made aware of the circumstance surrounding her mothers' execution. But not yet. She is far too young to hear about such wickedness. Instead, I try to divert her attentions with enlisting her to help me with designs for a new gown.  It goes some way to bringing back the shine in her eyes, but she is not the lively girl who greeted me as I arrive.

"Have a care for Lady Elizabeth," I say to her governess Mistress Ashley, as I prepare to make my departure four days later. "I fear she has taken the news of Queen Kathryn rather hard."

"Of course, Your Grace. It seems to have affected her greatly. Just last night she told me that she wishes never to marry."

"I think you will find that is a common wish amongst ladies when they are young."

"She was most insistent, Your Grace," Mistress Ashley insists seriously.

A small wistful smile plays about my lips. "If only we were all in charge of our own destinies, Mistress Ashley."