November 1540

Westminster Palace

"Lady Mary, I bid you good morrow," the heretic Cranmer bows before me in my Privy Chamber. At once, I can feel my body stiffen. I have done all that I can to avoid this man since I returned to court. I detest him as much I despised that Boleyn witch for their cruelty to my mother, their shared promotions of heresy. If I had my way he would never be admitted to my presence, but he is my fathers' creature. The architect of his supreme power and wealth. He is revered by the heretics as if he is a divine entity and my fathers loves him greatly. It is my fathers' high esteem that warrants my admitting him to my rooms. 
"I regret I have come on a most unpleasant duty. The Kings has instructed me to dismiss Mistress Clarencieux and Mistress Brown from your service."

"I cannot think of any possible reasons that His Majesty would order their dismissal since I can attest for their virtue and goodness." I protest. 

"I regret to say Your Grace; the reasons for my commission were not explained to me. However, I must....."

"Then I would ask you to delay your commission, Sir. Until I have had occasion to speak with my father, the king." I interrupt; I will not have him speak one more word to me than is necessary. Loathsome creature that he is. My only regret of him is that those who worked for the downfall of Secretary Cromwell left this man in power. Free to promote his abhorent ways and make them into law.  "That way this matter may be resolved without any unnecessary disruption to either my ladies or myself."

"I regret I am unable to oblige you, My Lady. His Majesty's orders have been given. I can assure you Your Grace will not be meanly attended. These ladies here," he indicates to two women behind him, "have been sent to replace those who are to leave."

I do not want his assurances. They are not worth a straw. "If I am not to be meanly attended, may I not keep those amongst me that I know and trust, rather than have strangers about me?" I demand, certain that I have won my argument.

I swear his brown eyes look at me with a tenderness I could never have imagined from one capable of such depravity. "I beg Your Graces pardon, but I have my orders."

Taking Susan and Mary's hand in mine, I implore them to be of good cheer. "I promise this will not be for long." Turning to my enemy, I force myself to remain dignified. This man will not see me weep for the loss of my friends. "Before you take your leave of me, sir, I would ask you to beseech His Majesty to grant me an audience, so that I might assure him that these ladies are good and honourable, and more than worthy to serve in my household."

He does not hesitate. In fact, he seems more than willing to do my bidding. "Of course, Your Grace. I will go to him at once and return to you myself when I have his answer."

I do not have a chance to tell him it is not necessary for him to return to me in person. Heaven knows I would prefer it if he never came within a mile of me again. However, he is as good as his word. He returns to me within the hour to tell me the King will see me in two days' time.

There is no smile or warm greetings for me from my father when I go to his privy chamber two days later. He does not rise from his chair to greet me, nor does he invite me to sit beside him. I am presented, allowed to kiss his hand, but forced to stand in from of him as his courtiers do.

"You have asked to know how your women have offended," my father says coldly. "Your women were removed as punishment. My displeasure lies not with those women, Mary. But with you."

I am taken aback by this accusation. I have always strived to follow Gods word and be a good daughter to His Majesty. "With me, sir?" "

"You have on numerous occasions taken it upon yourself to demonstrate disrespect towards the Queen. It has caused her great distress and offence when all she has strived for is to earn your love and be a good stepmother to you."